Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Steering box rebuildable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, in that case, I would definitely open her up and do it. Everyone seems to get wigged out over the worm/nut. These things are carefully machined to be 'tighter' at the center than on the edges of your steering movement. They are engineered with the understanding that there will be more wear in the center of your steering range (because that's where most of the steering occurs). But, if you replenished the rest of your box where there is almost sure to be wear ...and the worm/nut was worn 10%, you'd still have a box that should be tight and should be way better than what you have on your rig now. Besides that, I doubt you would be able to see the wear on the worm screw anyway, Again, these are all very hardened steel parts, and like a lot of hardened parts, they can last a LONG time.

But keep doing like you've done and make sure the rest of your steering system is up to snuff.

Hey, don't get caught up in being combative, ...let us know how it turns out. I might do mine one of these day. Would like to hear your feedback.

Last edited by Mark G; 10-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBlanco
My guess is you haven't read my siggy. But, there are reasons why this BB has seen a massive drop in activity in the last 18 months. And comments like this are one of them.
I could give two turds in a rusty bucket what your "siggy" says. I'll just say what everyone else who reads this thread is thinking. This is a community and you get what you give. You are an ungrateful douchebag who seems to think that posting on a forum of good folk who want to help out others with their experience somehow entitles you to demand service like you paid for it. Pfffftt on that. There are probably no other people in this world more knowledgable about the vehicle that you drive than Mr. Grant being that he has dismantled probably hundreds of these vehicles over the years and knows them inside and out. The fact that you rail about the design of a twenty year old vehicle on here like the rover engineers are waiting to hear what you have to say pretty much shows what kind of special person you are. This is the best board on the web for good rover people and information and you come storming in and decide to stomp all over the good people who make an honest attempt to help you out.

Now go get your shinebox, even though you will miss the reference maybe better people than me will try to help you with your future issues.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Contact Us | Land Rover USA

here you contact them about your 25 year old steering box, Im sure they will help you for $148.per hr

Old 10-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

That's a pretty good list of cars in your signature. Looks like we're running about neck and neck

My wife's happy we're out of garage space

Old 10-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geek_IM
I could give two turds in a rusty bucket..... snip.
I think you need to go back to the beginning and read, and then get packed, because you make no sense.

Fact... I never asked for help with anything.

Fact... People are way to sensitive about their cars.

Fact... LR Steering boxes from this era is a CHRONIC issue. 15 years old or not, it's a very high failure rate.

Fact... LR dropped the ball on designing quite a few parts; and never made improvements to them.

Fact... There are better built 4x4's than an 89-98 Disco. If people have to boo-hoo when this fact gets called out; not my problem. There is a reason why equal vintage/mileage/condition Land Cruisers cost double than their Disco counter parts.

Fact... It was Paul that jumped down MY throat and you, along with a few others jumped on the badwagon.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mark G
That's a pretty good list of cars in your signature. Looks like we're running about neck and neck

My wife's happy we're out of garage space
Ha, I can barley get two cars in. Half the garage is full of shop equipment. I keep telling her that we need to find a house with a 4 car garage, and then we'll have to build another 4 car garage to park the cars.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Fact... There are better built 4x4's than an 89-98 Disco.
then get one, they will have a forum too. bye

Old 10-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
Fact... There are better built 4x4's than an 89-98 Disco.
then get one, they will have a forum too. bye
Another butt-hurt specimen. I see your list of rides... Are you prepared to state publicly that the D1 (or any rover product) is the most reliable vehicle ever made?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

You can rely on the Land Rover being unreliable.