Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Steering Wheel Turns...Wheels Don't

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:05 AM
|
Mudding
Default Steering Wheel Turns...Wheels Don't

I can't tighten my lower steering u joint to the steering box on my D1. the bolt that's suppose to tighten the u joint to the steering box doesn't tighten. do i have stripped threads? has anyone else had this problem? right now i'm thinking new lower steering u joint. i just don't want to miss anything. in my opinion...steering is important

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Uhmmm yeah I think steering is important too LOL. Check and make sure the splines arent stripped on the input shaft of the box or the inside of the clamp/joint.

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Oh yeah dont turn the wheel to much or you'll brake the clock spring that cancells your turn signals.

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:30 AM
|
Mudding

perfect. that's what i was looking for. a few suggestions. if those splines are stripped. does that mean a new steering box? thanks.

Old 01-10-2011 | 10:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah pretty much a new/rebuilt box is going to be your best bet if those splines are shot.

Old 01-10-2011 | 12:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

couple things, breaking the clock spring will only render your horn and cruise control useless as well as trigger the SRS light (I don't know if it is possible to have the airbag blow because of it but it probably wont if you have an accident). Also as far as Land Rover OEM part goes the lower steering joint is no longer sold as an individual item as of a couple years ago so you may need to consider getting the whole shaft with both u joints, roverland parts had a few last time I got one and the whole shaft was less than AB wanted for just the joint (I was told about the joint being discontinued at that time) I might suggest you look at Rovahfarm too, they list it for $37 and could have some in stock.

on a side note the u joint splines should strip alot faster than the input shaft splines on the steering box.

Old 01-14-2011 | 04:33 PM
|
Mudding

the bolt that tightens the u joint to the steering box screws all the way in and then just keeps turning. never tightens. a junk yard in town has a 96 i can get parts off of.

my question now is, how the heck to i get the lower u joint off without removing the entire steering column?

Old 01-14-2011 | 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

loosen both sides and it will back up the shaft enough to slip off the input shaft of the gear box, mine needed some help so I used a hammer!

Old 01-14-2011 | 05:24 PM
|
Mudding

ok that's what i was thinking i would to. got the rubber hammer out already. just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything i was missing.

Old 01-14-2011 | 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

may need to pop a screwdriver in the split and spread it open just a hair to help it move better.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Turns...Wheels Don't