Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Stereo Head Unit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012 | 11:44 PM
|
Mudding
Default Stereo Head Unit upgrade

Yep, so the security radio code does not work, even after confirming with Land Rover USA the cross referenced s/n of the radio, the security code is correct. They say I need a new unit.. fine.

I'm replacing the radio altogether.. problem is, I cannot find any useful information to help me figure out what these wires are. I'm doing it myself, because frankly, I don't have the extra $200 to shell out to Best Buy for a quasi-professional install. I am competent enough to do this myself, but I need some help with wire identification.

The two black wires came out of back of radio that are labeled "Main" and "Sub", which I imagine is for the amp and rear subwoofer? The wires themselves are labeled "LH DIV" and "RH DIV" respectively. But what is the blue cable? Antenna?
Name:  IMG_20121015_243234_071_zpseb9bc903.jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  219.9 KB

Last edited by tooltech; 10-14-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2012 | 01:16 AM
Overlanding

The blue connector in the photo is probebly for the CD changer.

Old 10-15-2012 | 01:35 AM
|
Mudding

Thanks for the reply...
The CD changer would be under the passenger seat, correct? I looked, and it is not present. So.. I don't have to worry about the blue connector, just set it to the side I suppose.

What about the two RCA-looking connectors? I searched another forum, but that led me to a dead end thread.

Old 10-15-2012 | 06:45 AM
Mudding

There are amps from the factory I believe, so your gonna have to bypass them, that or I'm thinking of one of my other cars lol. When I installed my stero, I ran all new wires to all the speakers, easiest to start from scratch.

Last edited by dansgt; 10-15-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2012 | 08:52 AM
TReK

Those two black RCA-looking cables are for the antenna (truck has two in the side rear glass). The blue is the CD Player cable which should be found under the passenger seat.

Look for a "Metra 70-9400 Radio Wiring Harness for Land Rover/Discovery" to hook up aftermarket head units to the factory amp.

Oh, the amp is in the passenger footwell. If the new head unit has an amp, you'll need to bypass the factory amp or run new wires to the speakers. There is a small amp attached to the subs in the rear door to power them.

Old 10-15-2012 | 09:06 AM
Mudding

On my '98 Disco I the amp was under the driver's seat.

Old 10-15-2012 | 09:10 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Michael M. Koch
On my '98 Disco I the amp was under the driver's seat.
Factory? Really? Never heard that one before but wouldn't necessarily doubt it either.

Old 10-15-2012 | 10:57 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Factory? Really? Never heard that one before but wouldn't necessarily doubt it either.
Yep. Took me a minute to find it too! The CD changer is under the passenger seat. The subwoofer amp is nowhere to be found, I think it's been removed. I'm going to do my own thing anyway so it doesn't matter.

Old 10-15-2012 | 11:23 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Those two black RCA-looking cables are for the antenna (truck has two in the side rear glass). The blue is the CD Player cable which should be found under the passenger seat.

Look for a "Metra 70-9400 Radio Wiring Harness for Land Rover/Discovery" to hook up aftermarket head units to the factory amp.

Oh, the amp is in the passenger footwell. If the new head unit has an amp, you'll need to bypass the factory amp or run new wires to the speakers. There is a small amp attached to the subs in the rear door to power them.
Alright they gave me the wrong wiring harness. So I'm going to exchange it later today.

Next big question: how the heck am I supposed to connect the antenna?

Old 10-15-2012 | 02:25 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by tooltech
Alright they gave me the wrong wiring harness. So I'm going to exchange it later today.

Next big question: how the heck am I supposed to connect the antenna?
With one of these.

Quick Reply: Stereo Head Unit upgrade