Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

still hotter than july

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy still hotter than july

Here is what I have done to my 96 in the last month and a half

plugs, wires, oil + filter, ecm replaced,
clutch fan conversion, panhard rod bushings
steering stabilizer, two window regulators.
a new thermostat, and the last thing
I just put in today as the sun was going down...

a rebuilt radiator....the old one was rotten to the core....oh yea and a serpentine belt....which was probably the easiest thing I have done to this vehicle so far.

I got the radiator back in all the hoses and lines hooked up and I filled her up with prestone and water....I don't understand why the temp gauge is still in the middle.....I haven't driven her yet....I would run it for a few minutes and top off the fluid...let it run three times. The top hose is good and hot but the reservoir was still cold....as much as I hate to say this am I looking at a water pump?

With my ear to the reservoir cap I can hear some escape how ever miniscule. I do not see weeping at the pump nor does it squeal.

I don't regret replacing the radiator it was a goner and it had to be done. I can't drive her if I can't figure this out. The oil level was good and I did not hear the gurgling waters behind the dash.

the radiator was rotten and really plugged up as well.

prognosis?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh you know I don't know what is normal for this vehicle....the temp gauge was hanging at half way. I read somewhere in here that a third of the way is normal and half way is where you need to worry....maybe I am jumping the gun here....I just put 419 counting the tax for the recore...so I am a little nervouse. I know you cant rely on these temp gauges I do need to get a laser thermometer.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy the water pump off shadow merchants truck for cheap. That'd be my next guess

Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Just under half to half is normal for the temp gauge on most I've come across including my own.

When you put the new serp belt on did you route it correctly? You can have the fan and impeller going in the wrong direction.

If your hearing hissing from the expansion tank cap replace it, it's a closed system.

Run it and then feel the expansion tank. You wont be displacing anything at idle including air pockets.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Three Wheeling

I will recheck the belt but I did it with the book in front of me. I ordered a new resevoir cap on ebay for 8 or nine bucks. If just under the middle to the middle is normal for most i may just be over reacting. I didn't see it climb to the danger zone.
well I haven't made it outside to work on her yet today....I need to go find the condenser switch to replace that and see if it makes the fans go. I was hot wiring them. I haven't taken it out of the drive yet either so before I freak out completely I need to go do those two things buying the water pump just in case might make sense I have to think about that for a few minutes.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Don't buy something unless you know for certain. The radiator, belt and viscous did wonders for your cooling system already. Go drive it a few miles and then see. If your pump is working you'll hear a sloshing sound when you increase the rpm's at take off. If the gauge goes to 3/4's safely park it, turn it off and wait for it to cool off. Look at your expansion tank cap and the tanks seams for signs of coolant loss.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Three Wheeling

I purchased a new reservoir cap because I heard a little air bubbles at the cap the other night...I gotta tell ya I feel like I was crying wolf. I over reacted all the work I have put into the vehicle....I think I panicked a little. I have never thought of myself as mechanically inclined and I have learned a lot all ready. I drove her oh thirty miles or so today and it never once left the middle. No heat on no condenser fan (because I haven't figured that out yet) Aaaahh...thank you guys for the good advice.. I can finally take it out and enjoy it a little.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Crying wolf is better then replacing the head gaskets. The condenser fans will not come on until you select the A/C and move the interior blower speed selector to 1 or higher. Only if the motor becomes really hot will the condenser fans come on. Be thankful that they haven't. Enjoy the ride, I'm sure something else will need attention soon enough.....

Last edited by ihscouts; 06-24-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it have the orignal black plastic reservoir? They say those tend to split and should be eplaced with the new white ones. I have not yet done that, but I did replace my heater hoses while I had my alternator off. The little short one right behind the alternator looked like it was ready to pop. ZZZI had swollen and had verrtical cracks throughout it's periphery. It connects from that pipe to the block.

I bought 4 foot of 3/4 inch heater hose. It was a bitch getting the hose over the lagr nipple at the block, I ended up leaving out that atupid little pipe section, forcing the hose over the nipple with a little vaseline ssmeared in the hose and on the nipple and routing the hose directly up to the firewall opting to leave out the rigid pipe section and allowing a little excess length.

I had been seeing a few droplets of coolant collecting on top of the water pump prior to replacing this hose. Since the replacement, no more coolant. One other thing regarding these water pumps is that the impeller tends to eventually work it's way loose where it is pressed (staked) on, allowing the impeller to move (slip or spin) instead of moving the coolant. Due to that I would be hesitant to replace one original water pump with a high milage used one instead of a new one. If the replacement goes bad, you wasted a lot of time, coolant, and parts just to have to tear that one out and put a third one in. Just my opininion on that kind of repair. Some used parts are fine for saving money, but I do not think a water pump fits in that category though.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Camel Trophy

".....a little vaseline smeared in the hose and on the nipple...."

Pardon me, I just got a little excited.......

Quick Reply: still hotter than july