Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

stock toolkit location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
ive read the owners manual, which seems to suggest that its under the rear seat. but after folding up the seat and having it look i dont see any compartments under the seat in the floor, or anything on the bottom of the seat where you could stash tools...
im mostly interested because it would be nice to know where the factory jack handle is - ive found the jack and the wheel stop up front...

truck is a '97 SD, with 0 options so maybe it is infact under the rear seat on the fancier trucks?...

thanks!
The tool kit only consisted of the three cross bars for the roof rack, the tool for removing the cross bars, two jack handle extensions and the lug wrench. Like mentioned above, they all came in a long black vinyl bag that fit under the rear seat bottoms. The kit was accessible when the seats were folded forward.

I may have the cross bars, handle extensions and lug wrench. I know I don't have the cross bar tool. They are pretty rare these days.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats really bizzarre!

ill have to take a picture of what it looks like with the rear seats folded forward... the seat bottoms are flat, and the floor is flat underneath them - no space for anything to have fit under/in the seat bottoms.
theres definitely no velcro straps, or black bags under there!

unless all of this stuff is under the carpet? i gave that a quick pull but it didnt seem to be arranged in a way that lent itself to easy removal, so i assumed it should stay put...

could this have been different on SD trucks w/o rear jump seats?
my truck is suuper base model... cloth manual seats, no sunroofs, no jump seats, etc etc

Old 09-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I may have the cross bars, handle extensions and lug wrench. I know I don't have the cross bar tool. They are pretty rare these days.
I have it all except that tool you speak of. Why do you need a tool those cross bars are easily popped in and out with the release under them. Maybe it's different on a '96 SE7.

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 09-13-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: changed model
Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Trust me, that's were the kit was stored. Overall, it was barely an inch thick and fit there comfortably. You don't need to send photos. I've owned, worked on and dismantled too many DI's to hazard a guess at the number.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Winching

fair enough, i guess its long gone then! odd because so much else has been meticulously tracked on this thing

but, i suppose this is the excuse ive been looking for to buy a hi-lift and use that space where the stock jack is for a second battery! haha

Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
thats really bizzarre!

ill have to take a picture of what it looks like with the rear seats folded forward... the seat bottoms are flat, and the floor is flat underneath them - no space for anything to have fit under/in the seat bottoms.
theres definitely no velcro straps, or black bags under there!

unless all of this stuff is under the carpet? i gave that a quick pull but it didnt seem to be arranged in a way that lent itself to easy removal, so i assumed it should stay put...

could this have been different on SD trucks w/o rear jump seats?
my truck is suuper base model... cloth manual seats, no sunroofs, no jump seats, etc etc

You would be AMAZED at what fits under the seats when upright.
My black bag is there with one cross bar. I also have a 1/2" breaker bar and socket for the lug nuts (the beaker bar also works for the jack, just use the handle end of the breaker bar), Channel Locks, 16oz claw hammer all under the back seat, I can pull it all out without folding the seat up.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the tool for removing the cross bars

What does the tool look like?

Do you get the annoying wind turbulence sound with the bars in and sunroof open?

How much load are they designed to handle?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 AM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

From the owner's manual......

Name:  roofrackandtools.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  85.6 KB

Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
You would be AMAZED at what fits under the seats when upright.
My black bag is there with one cross bar. I also have a 1/2" breaker bar and socket for the lug nuts (the beaker bar also works for the jack, just use the handle end of the breaker bar), Channel Locks, 16oz claw hammer all under the back seat, I can pull it all out without folding the seat up.

awesome hah i guess ill keep that in mind

and that picture posted above clears up what that little tool was for in the trunk! hah so i guess im left only with the roof rack tool and no factory rack parts or jack handle.
truck already has a half length aftermarket cargo rack though... maybe its worth just removing the factory rack parts when i have the headliner down...

Old 09-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  9b23c546.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  67.8 KB

Let me tell you about wind noise!

I still have the cross bars but find them very weak. I would recommend a real roof rack if you want to carry anything. I am getting ready to remove mine and grind off all the paint and POR 15 to seal it back up.

Last edited by ColoDisco; 09-14-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: stock toolkit location?