Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Stupid ABS Light!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid ABS Light!

OK, I have removed my Antilock Brake Module and the Antilock Brake fuse but the stupid light is still on! What do i have to do to get the light to turn off, remove the bulb?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Drifting

You have to read the codes and clear each one. Do a search on ABS Light or ABS code there is a great step by step procedure and all you need is a pencil and a paper clip. The light is illuminated for a reason... fix the reason... don't just shut down the ABS system... it could save your life.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfRat
You have to read the codes and clear each one. Do a search on ABS Light or ABS code there is a great step by step procedure and all you need is a pencil and a paper clip. The light is illuminated for a reason... fix the reason... don't just shut down the ABS system... it could save your life.
YA, and broken it could take it... I've personally seen 2 Discoveries completely randomly loose all their braking due to a faulty ABS, where unplugging the ABS actually return the brakes to good working order (Albeit manual).

Trust me, it's not very fun to be doing 50 and go to hit your brakes and they just goto the floor...

I've honestly never seen a system designed like this where a sensor out can cause catastrophic failure of such and important part of your safety equipment. I'm actually surprised there have not been lawsuits over it.

It would have been a simple issue to solve too, all they needed to do was add a 30 cent switch so if the ABS faulted the switch turned off the system until it was corrected.

A lot of people can't afford to fix the ABS, that's a fact. If your's is faulty go back to manual. (Unplug the ABS) don't run with it active and the ABS light on, your just asking to die.

Last edited by ngarover; 12-07-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lee97Disco1
OK, I have removed my Antilock Brake Module and the Antilock Brake fuse but the stupid light is still on! What do i have to do to get the light to turn off, remove the bulb?

Yes, you will have to remove the light to make it go off. Especially with the module removed, it will stay on all the time.

Do you know what was wrong with it? there is a very simple way to get the codes.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All you had to do is pull the 30A ABS pump fuse from under the hood to disable the ABS.
Then you need to remove the bulb if you want the light to go out.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Drifting
Default Reason

Thanx for the feedback. I didn't remove the ABS Modulator because a light was on. I lost brakes on day driving to work. I e-braked it a few miles home. I replaced the master cylinder. While bleeding the brakes I discovered that there was no brake fluid coming out of the ABS Modulator but there was going into it. The modulator, even a rebuilt one ($750) was out of my budget. So i just deleted it from the system and used the existing brake pressure regulator and rerouted the brake lines. It brakes better than ever. At the same time I pulled the fuse to the ABS. The light is staying on. Thats the origin of my question. SO i guess I'll have to figure out how to remove the light. Thanx again guys!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In answer to your question I believe the light comes on at start up and if all is well goes off after a few seconds of driving, since all is not well in your case (at least as far as the truck thinks) it wont go off. so I suggest you pull the bulb and never think about it again.

a few of the first things I did with my truck were to pull the ABS fuse and the bulb. I had the cluster out already to replace the factory alarm LED with my aftermarket blue one (I think I did a write up on here somewhere if anyone wants to know about that) so out came the ABS bulb at that time!

of course I did try to fix the problem first, the code said it was drivers front sensor, so I pulled it and cleaned it and all was well for about 2 days then my family and I almost rolled out into traffic cause the truck wouldn't stop, that was the last day I saw the ABS light!!!

PS. there are 2 ABS fuses (one under dash and one under hood) if you pull the wrong one it will throw a check engine light. just replace it and pull the other one and the light will go away in a handful of miles.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 12-07-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Maybe you guys can get away with taking the bulb out. I got caught at inspection when the light never came on when the key was turned on. I finally got all my ABS issues solved with the blink diagnostic and a used rear sensor harness and sensors. I know the Disco brakes aren't the best, but I can't believe that when the ABS fails the brakes quit entirely. When my ABS light came on, the ABS did not engage, but the brakes still worked.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoJag
Maybe you guys can get away with taking the bulb out. I got caught at inspection when the light never came on when the key was turned on. I finally got all my ABS issues solved with the blink diagnostic and a used rear sensor harness and sensors. I know the Disco brakes aren't the best, but I can't believe that when the ABS fails the brakes quit entirely. When my ABS light came on, the ABS did not engage, but the brakes still worked.
It doesn't happen all the time. But I wouldn't want to be one of the few unlucky ones that it does it to.

But I'm with you, I would have tried used(cheap)parts before ditching my abs. Of course, if I lived where you don't get snowfall measured in feet at times, I may not worry 'bout it then

Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJag
I would argue with the state in your case, well actually no I wouldn't but I might suggest you try that, I would rewire the abs bulb to the CEL bulb so they come on and go off together!

Quick Reply: Stupid ABS Light!