Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Subwoofer mod!!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The subs I bought from Amazon are 200 watts each used with the stock amp. I turned the bass up from the factory radio and these little speakers pump!! So far so good!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 Dicovery LSE Subwoofer replacement

I have a 1998 Discovery LSE and my subwoofer cones were disintegrated around the edges. I couldn't believe I didn't realize how crappy my sound had gotten over the years.

Anyway, I did some digging around the internet and found some pretty cheap and good enough sounding replacements at Parts-Express model: Goldwood GW-406D 6-1/2" Poly DVC Subwoofer Shielded. Someone there had posted a product review for his Discovery I, don't know what year though so I took a chance and it works great.

I did have to wait as they were out of stock and I see now as I'm typing this that they are once again out of stock (must be popular), but I only had to wait one week for their shipment to come in.

FYI: the 1998 LSE model does NOT have the rear mounted amplifier on the back of the subwoofer enclosure, I believe they are powered from the main amp under the drivers seat, so it's just the speakers back there.

NOTE on Installation: The magnet shields on these replacement speakers are slightly larger in diameter than the stock speaker magnets and there is a little "interference" from the sheet metal in the door. Why do Rover installs NEVER go without problems? I had visions of cutting sheet metal, but some aggressive pounding with a regular hammer took care of that in 10 seconds. Just enough to get the bolt holes to line up.

I'm a super happy camper again with some good license plate rattling bass again!!!

A steal of a deal for just under $40 for the pair with shipping which was super fast. You can do this with confidence...it works great!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Winching

Well after reading this I've got a dilemma. I just bought 2 of these;

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...WX65X-/55-2370

Along with a factory amp off eBay, since mine was blown. But the factory amp is likely to die if I hook it up to the speakers I bought. My dilemma is the following, do I sell the speakers to get less powerful ones to match the factory amp or I resell the amp to get a more powerful one to match my new subs?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Drifting

Im in the midle of replacing mine...99 DII...where did you get those? or what size and make are they...thats a GOTTAHAV!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Rovers are like women...they never work out the way we plan....! LOL

Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Jull
Well after reading this I've got a dilemma. I just bought 2 of these;

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...WX65X-/55-2370

Along with a factory amp off eBay, since mine was blown. But the factory amp is likely to die if I hook it up to the speakers I bought. My dilemma is the following, do I sell the speakers to get less powerful ones to match the factory amp or I resell the amp to get a more powerful one to match my new subs?
The '98 Disco LSE uses a dual voice coil speaker which means there are 4 electrical connections on them instead of the normal 2. I don't know what year Disco you have so you'll have to check if you have a single coil (2 connectors) or dual coil (4 connectors). It looks like the speakers you just bought are single coil.

At $8.00 each you could pretty much eat the cost of your speakers or try to send them back. Since you just bought a factory amp I'd go with a speaker that is close to stock. The last thing you want to do is open up a can of worms and end up changing everything in your system.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Winching

Original speakers were single coils with a factory amp only for them. If I'm right I'd only need to replace the sub amp for a more powerful one. The amount of work required will be more substantial if I choose to replace the amp. What annoys me is that both options are pretty much the same price.

The subwoofers I bought are rated at 100W RMS which is not as bad as I remembered.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 AM
KOz
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you get the old subs out of the plastic mounting bracket?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
KOz
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Got them out by scraping away the black rubber like glue that holds down the metal tabs. Pried up the metal tabs with a flat head screwdriver, then knocked the speakers out.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I found this while searching for amp and subwoofer options for my Disco 2...
Land Rover Discovery | Santa Fe Auto Sound

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subwoofer mod!!