Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sunroof Leak, Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sunroof Leak, Solution?

It has been raining its butt off here lately. It was never a real issue before but now I cannot get the sunroof to stop leaking. I already have everything exposed, so its not a problem to get in there. It is NOT the drains. it leaks through the back side where these two clips on both sides protrude though. What do I need to do/buy to fix this? I can't find new seals on roverparts.

AND I DID SEARCH but never found a solution.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Pro Wrench

Just realized I couldn't find anything because I looked in the d1 section.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

clean the drains completely then seal off the parts that are causing the leak. Most of the time the excess water runs back because the drains are stuffed themselves. They don't leak from the drains they leak back because of the drains.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Sorry but that's what I meant. Isn't there anything that prevents water from getting in to begin with?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear sunroof didn't seat properly, one corner stuck up a little allowing water to get it. I did the headliner painting a few weeks ago and the only thing I could come up with to fix the problem would be to put in a new sunroof. So instead I got a tube of caulking, sealed it up and pulled the plug to the motor. I never sit in the back anyway

Last edited by Henrici; 05-05-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neither one of mine have worked since I bought them and as they are so far down the list of things to fix I just caulked mine in place with a nice black UV resistant marine grade caulk. Voila. No problems with mine.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reviving this so as not to overwhelm the forum with new threads about old stuff. My sunroofs are leaking. Actually, I'm almost 100% sure it's the rear one. Anyway... I've had the headliner out, cleaned the tubes (they were clear anyway) and still cant keep the back seat passengers from getting a shower. It's annoying.

Without sealing off the roof (not an option IMO) what else could I do?

Could I possibly put a line of weather stripping around the bottom corner of the glass to make a better seal? Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
Reviving this so as not to overwhelm the forum with new threads about old stuff. My sunroofs are leaking. Actually, I'm almost 100% sure it's the rear one. Anyway... I've had the headliner out, cleaned the tubes (they were clear anyway) and still cant keep the back seat passengers from getting a shower. It's annoying.

Without sealing off the roof (not an option IMO) what else could I do?

Could I possibly put a line of weather stripping around the bottom corner of the glass to make a better seal? Thoughts?

Thanks!!!
Are you sure that the rubber seal is well seated in the aluminum channel?
with the heat of the sun the rubber sticks to the glass and when you open it the glass lifts the seal off the channel. when it rains a lot (just a little is not enough) the water overwhelms the drainage and the excess passes between the rubber and the aluminum channel.
You can't just glue the seal in place. You need to unbolt the glass, remove the whole rubber seal, clean the channel really well and dry-press the rubber back.
To prevent the rubber to stick to the glass, treat the rubber with either silicone lube spray or vaseline.
My D1 comes with internal cold shower for the back passengers. The pan is crackes by freezing.

The only roof that doesn't leak is one without holes.

SD

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soccer Dad
Are you sure that the rubber seal is well seated in the aluminum channel?
with the heat of the sun the rubber sticks to the glass and when you open it the glass lifts the seal off the channel. when it rains a lot (just a little is not enough) the water overwhelms the drainage and the excess passes between the rubber and the aluminum channel.
You can't just glue the seal in place. You need to unbolt the glass, remove the whole rubber seal, clean the channel really well and dry-press the rubber back.
To prevent the rubber to stick to the glass, treat the rubber with either silicone lube spray or vaseline.
My D1 comes with internal cold shower for the back passengers. The pan is crackes by freezing.

The only roof that doesn't leak is one without holes.

SD
Response much appreciated - I hadn't checked that, but will tonight!

LOL about the rear passengers getting a shower. Last time I had people in the back the shower scared one dude so bad he smacked his head on the window.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my truck, the glass was not adjusted properly and wasn't fully closing because of worn tracks. You can try to readjust the glass to seat properly on the seal, and to crank the sunroof manually with an allen key.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leak, Solution?