Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Suspension and Driveline Direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014 | 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Here's the info I found on TF shocks. I believe all their +2" shocks to have the same travel/specs.
Terra Firma Shock Lengths, specs - DiscoWeb Message Boards

What's funny is that the fronts almost always have more travel than the rear on these +2" shocks. Yet when you really get your suspension dialed in your rear shocks are always longer than the front. FWIW I would actually stay away from the Rancho 999028 shocks. They aren't that great and if you run cones in front they will rub the larger body of the shocks.
Compressed and extended values are everything when dialing in your suspension.

Old 08-11-2014 | 07:34 PM
|
Pro Wrench

I just read your other thread on the shocks you had going awhile ago. Good info there. These prices are starting to swarm in my head...if I went with 235/85 tires about 800 w fox shocks...roughly 150 per. Adapters. Cones. Bumpstops. Valving. D2 towers. Hardware. I'd need to upgrade the front shaft for all this travel I'm sure. Ugh.. At least 2k bucks ..discouraging. Especially considering my lift/shocks/tires are brand new. Less than 300 miles. I could probably sell them for a loss. Damn. Again...stock truck before beat this one out. Lol. I like this truck better but damn I was hoping for more ability with its current set up.

Old 08-11-2014 | 07:40 PM
Winching

stock shocks are 9" travel front and rear

front: 12.5" - 21.5"
rear: 13" - 22"

Old 08-11-2014 | 08:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by MM3846
stock shocks are 9" travel front and rear

front: 12.5" - 21.5"
rear: 13" - 22"
Right. Pretty decent when paired with stock springs and 29" tires.

Start looking for good deals, SHIFT. You don't need Fox shocks. Some Bilstein 5150 or something would be good. To really dial it in you'll have to move away from shocks specifically made for Rovers.

Old 08-11-2014 | 08:54 PM
Camel Trophy

I just moseyed a 2013 Honda Fit up a loose gravel driveway longer than that hill and as steep and it had a 10" washout right in the middle. Didn't over rev it, used the brake to keep the tires from spinning because.......it has an open diff! Happened to my Mom's friend who was trying to visit another friend and she couldn't navigate the driveway and backed her Fit sideways into the trees along the drive. Couldn't pull her with the Rover without trashing the front bumper/air dam with a yank strap. Just me, my wits and two old ladies worried to death....fun! There was no way a tow truck could have done anything more than I could've with the Rover. I didn't see a dime either.......ya'd think somebody would at least throw me a Lincoln for Taco Bell......

Last edited by ihscouts; 08-11-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2014 | 11:39 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Took it out today. Played around on the rocks. I went further up trail than I ever had with it. I dropped air pressure down to 28. And like Scouts said, low revs. (Yes you'd think they'd drop ya buck or two). Two foot driving. It did pretty decent. Actually better than it has. But it may just be my attitude towards it. Im trying not to get bogged down and overwhelmed.

I think also my paranoia about my diff getting busted holds me back. Here its all rocks. Big rocks. Small rocks. Medium rocks. Littered in ruts of all sizes. Diff protectors are definitely on the immediate list.

Fish I think your right about looking for deals and driving it as is for now. I'm gonna try and stop comparing it to other trucks and just try and enjoy it. I'm still finishing up maintenance chores. Plus I need a windshield. I want a radio soon too.

More travel and height are definitely on my list but I want to do this other crap first and not get discouraged with it.

Old 08-12-2014 | 12:49 AM
Camel Trophy

Wait for it........ Chyeah brah!!

Last edited by fishEH; 08-12-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2014 | 08:29 AM
|
Pro Wrench

Hahaha. That's hilarious.

So I have another question. Lets say I'm going to buy the parts a little at a time. Maybe shocks then other smaller stuff. What did you mean by valving the shocks? I mean I get the concept but how did you know the number you needed? Was the shock in its original form not good?

Old 08-12-2014 | 08:40 AM
Winching

shock valving is a BIG can of worms. but basically, it is the rate at which the shocks compress and extend. once you start getting into a more modified setup, a custom valve will really let you dial in the ride and performance of the truck.

is it necessary for 95% of people? no. you can get away with an off the shelf valve unless you are prerunning or just looking to spend some time and money dialing in your rig.

Old 08-12-2014 | 09:08 AM
|
Pro Wrench

This would be my ultimate goal. These guys are my heros. I've watched all of their videos and tried to get an idea of the set ups. Most don't seem to extreme. My dream was always to road trip to Northern California and Moab to do some trails camp and drive home. I realize that's a tall order. But i think it can be done on a reasonable budget. This would be the stuff I'd love to do with my truck since it's all in driving range from here.

Diff protectors, sliders, my winch and now getting my suspension dialed in, I think it's possible. I really really love the gold RRC. One of my favorite trucks out there. I'd love to have one.

Dusy Ershim Trail 2012 part 1:

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 08-12-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Suspension and Driveline Direction