Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Is sway bar disconnect worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Is sway bar disconnect worth it?

After reading a bunch of threads about disconnecting the sway bars I discovered most of the threads are about a D2 disconnect. I'd like to hear from someone with real results off road on a D1. My truck has a 2" HD Terrarfirma lift. New HD tie rods and bars. Rebuilt swivels and properly adjusted preload.

The on and off road ride is pretty stiff. I drive 50/50 on and off road. I will leave them attached just in case but I plan on running them disconnected full time IF the off road advantage is substantial. On my last trip off road I found that my truck is loosing traction on uneven terrain. I'm hoping disconnecting will help.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Swaybars aren't all evil. In fact a lot off offroad trucks run some sort of aftermarket or modified swaybar setup for stability. The main problem is that the stock swaybar is designed for use at stock height. When you lift a truck the swaybar is no longer in the position it was designed for but the ends point down. This limits downtravel. Part of the plans for my '95 D1 build include modifying a D1 rear swaybar so it sits in the stock position on my lifted truck. I think this will provide onroad and offroad stability with limited to no loss of articulation. Basically I'm just going to experiment.

Take off the front sway bar completely. It really doesn't do that much and its a royal pain in the butt to disconnect and connect, the rear is much easier to do.
I would suggest disconnecting both and running it on and off road before deciding. There is an advantage to disconnecting the swaybar off road. You may find that on 2" HD lift that the truck handles fine to acceptable without swaybars.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Mine had to come off, front drives shaft hit front sway iirc. Most trucks run sway in front of axle probly for this reason, rover is just goofy

Rear the links flipped up, jammed the bar back and made a dangerous ride so it came off

2" some HD lift

Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Pro Wrench

I took both off. I can definitely feel a difference going around the block. It's a lot more wiggly. Especially in hard turns. Tonight I'm going to the desert and on the way I'll hit some highway speeds briefly. So by tonight I should be able to report how it is on local streets. Off road. And highway speeds.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

I would think with HD springs sway would not be bad

Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

stock, i left mine on. my jeep buddies joked that they didnt even do anything bc the disco flexed so much. i wouldnt take it off without heavier springs, shocks and axle locks. these things flex to the moon without it.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't see where they did much, way to thin for the vehicle, larger dia. Bar might actually be effective

Old 07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Well I can say on road I could feel a difference. It was more like driving a car from the 60's. Not unsafe but you do have to be aware of quick lane changes. I hit 75mph and it seems safe enough.

Off road was a substantial improvement. I made it up hills and obstacles I was previously stuck on. The flex was much better. Even over smaller bumps the ride seemed better.i will definitely be leaving the front one off.

I'd like to reconnect the rear. Maybe there is a medium between on road stability and off road flex.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Pro Wrench

I have been running the rear bar on and front bar off. It's a good medium for flex and stability.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

just a thought.
are your front and rear links the same size? (d2....mine were not.) if your fronts are longer, you might swap them and get the rear sway closer to its intended neutral.

Quick Reply: Is sway bar disconnect worth it?