Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sway bar disconnects or just no sway bars???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar disconnects or just no sway bars???

I want to make some disconnects for my sway bars but I don't know what to do with the sway bars after I disconnect them. It seems like they would just hang there and hit the ground or do they rest on some thing. And since it's easier to remove the sway bars should I do that. What will be the consequences whine I do this.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, is your suspension stock, if so you would be wise to wait till you throw a lift on it otherwise you will have a stability issues cause of the weak springs.
As for the disconnects, when disconnected, hold the sway bars up with a bungy cord and don't drive on the road with it till you get real used to how it handles cause you can loose control and crash.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I am installing HD TF springs and HD expedition big bore TF shocks. Would I be ok to run no sway bars?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
I am installing HD TF springs and HD expedition big bore TF shocks. Would I be ok to run no sway bars?
Older RRC (and maybe even some older discos before they sold them in North America) didn't even come with sway bars. I'll bet you'll be fine with HD springs and no sways.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by jafir
Older RRC (and maybe even some older discos before they sold them in North America) didn't even come with sway bars. I'll bet you'll be fine with HD springs and no sways.
They also came with springs that didn't have 100k+ miles on them.

Have you ever driven one on stockers with no sways? It's moderately terrifying.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Go to quick disconnects even with your new lift. Getting used to no sway bars is not soemthing every one will want to do, the ride and have a lot of swaying motion.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Motronic
They also came with springs that didn't have 100k+ miles on them.

Have you ever driven one on stockers with no sways? It's moderately terrifying.
I drove my buddy's 1990 rrc with ome shocks and springs, and it wasn't scary. I figured since the guy I replied to was just now installing the HD shocks and springs that they don't have any miles. I'll bet it handles just fine, and he'll get an extra inch or two of flex.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
4wd High

I drove my buddy's 1990 rrc with ome shocks and springs, and it wasn't scary.
No offense, but the answer to my question sounds like a "no". 100k mile stock springs feel pretty "tippy" on something as top heavy as a Disco. Sure, nice newer shocks and spring are going to bring it right back under control for everything but emergency maneuvers.

I'd still rather have sways on when I'm on the street regardless.

and he'll get an extra inch or two of flex
I can't recall a time I've ever needed that on the street. And that's why disconnects work just fine for me.

I suppose if it's exclusively a trail toy this doesn't matter, but I use mine for sloppy weather duty as well. Just offering an opinion here. It's up to whoever is driving it to make that choice. Fortunately, it's easy enough to disconnect them and drive around for a bit to figure out if that's going to work for you before either outright removing them or buying quick disconnects.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Motronic
No offense, but the answer to my question sounds like a "no".
Well I drove it before he got the lift too... and it had 170k on it. It drove like crap for the first little bit he owned it because the front shock towers were completely rusted out and busted off at the base.

But that isn't relevant to the post I originally made... which was that I thought someone that was installing HD suspension on a D1 would be just fine without anti-sway bars.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mike, does it make any difference that I am installing front and rear 2" drop towers and spring retainer clamps front and rear. If anything I could leave them on but the whole point of the drop towers is for more articulation.

Quick Reply: Sway bar disconnects or just no sway bars???