Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sway Bushings... What Else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sway Bushings... What Else?

I ordered a couple of packages of One Shot Grease from British Atlantic on Tuesday and a few other do-dads since I was "paying for shipping" anyway...

On Wednesday (yesterday) I was under the Disco greasing the zerks when I realized that one of my anti-sway bar bushings are toast (the ones attached to the frame; not the end link). I figured that this had to be the reason why my disco dips into left hand turns, but stays steady on right hand turns....

I am upgrading to an OME HD suspension in the spring...

I want to replace this bushing, but since they cost $6 and shipping is $10, I figure I should replace a few "may as wells" while I am down there as well as pre order parts for my pending suspension install.

What else should I buy?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Check all your bushings. Panhard rod, radius and trailing arms at the frame and axles. If you need to replace a bunch you might be better off buying one of the Poly kits. Check the motor mounts too.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

With 160k on it it's very likely past due to have them all replaced, plus the motor and gearbox mounts. I'd do the A-arm ball joint at the same time since you have to disconnect everything to get it out.

Reports on the poly bushes are are really mixed (early failures and allowing more rapid component rusting). Sticking with rubber is always a safe bet.
I have blue Polybush brand on my 95 disco and rubber on the 97. Only time will tell if the Polybush was a smart choice.

Last edited by antichrist; 10-27-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree, do them all including the trailing arms and radius arms. Might want to check with Justin at Lucky 8, that is where I recently bought my radius arm and trailing arm bushings, if I remember right they were all makes and a great replacement/price.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I agree, do them all including the trailing arms and radius arms. Might want to check with Justin at Lucky 8, that is where I recently bought my radius arm and trailing arm bushings, if I remember right they were all makes and a great replacement/price.
I just went with the Orange Poly's from Justin for my trailing arms at the frame. He said he uses the Orange on his D90. This was after my 3 month old AllMakes both blew out on me almost leaving me stranded. Good thing I was able to MacGruber those things back together to get me the 4 hrs home.
Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzAzODIuanBn.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  63.5 KB

Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, there seems to be big quality difference between brands. At least that's the feeling I get. That's why when I decided to try them I went with the Polybush brand.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Rock Crawling

Yes, I am really considering the Poly bushings. I have done the red's on BMW's and my bike...

I have been looking at the kits. It would be nice to get a bill of materials to see what is included. None of the kits seem to include anti-sway bushings.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I know the sways didnt come in my blue polybush kit if that helps, if I remember right the full kit had radius arm bush frame an axle ends, trailing arm bush's frame an axle ends, panhard bush's, and there was something else in the kit but I forget. I'll see if I still have the packing slip when I get home. I havent had problems out of my blue polys at all they seem to be holding up well.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Camel Trophy

Try this:
Kit 2 - Land Rover Defender (90/110 - 1994 to 2001))
Looks like the sway bushings are available but not part of a kit.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Yes. It looks like the kit only addresses the radius arms and the panhard rod... Thanks guy for helping me figure this one out!

Quick Reply: Sway Bushings... What Else?