Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sweet smell from exhaust! ohnoessss

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah I'm a horse with a camelback

Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man was I late to the party or what?
No we do not have a write up on how to do head gaskets.
Its pretty straight forward though.
Here are the parts you will need.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC4082HBK.cfm
As for tools you will need a torque wrench (you can rent one) and impact sockets in 1/2" drive (for the torque wrench, again you can rent them)
A decent 3/8" drive socket set with various extensions, various other hand tools too.
A clean preferably covered work space and lots of time.
Removing the hood makes it easier.
You may need a cheater bar to help you break the head bolts loose.
Down load the RAVE manual as it has all of the torque specs and sequence for all the head bolts.
The kit I linked to has instructions with it.
If you're a idiot budget a week to do the work.
If you are a shade tree mechanic budget a long weekend.
Yes it is safe to drive as long as you keep the coolant full, but keep in mind that if the gaskets decide to go you may be walking to the bus stop and calling for a tow truck.
So if you dont want to get stranded its best to leave it parked.
Overheat it once and you may be buying a new engine.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Spike, it'll probably take us about a weekend to pull the job off. I've gotten a lot of info from discoweb as well. One piece of info I am waiting for that I haven't seen mentioned on LRF.com yet is a DVD put together by Elias Christeas. It is a Land Rover documentary with lots of cool footage but it also contains two repair demonstrations one of which being the head gasket replacement and the other is a front end swivel ball repair. Here is a link to the DVD with trailers and extras: In Search of the ExperienceI ordered one last night to help me out.
I also came across a very well written debriefing on the head gasket job on Discoweb written by member Tugela, I can't link to it but just search "head gasket debrief: lessons learned " and you'll find it.
Good luck to everyone

Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Who has an attitude?

Man,

I believe we were both just trying to save you some grief.

"DM tells me there is no way that the coolant can end up in the exhaust through the valley pan gasket but I just want to check for the hell of it."

Mike was sharing his wealth of experience with you. I also was merely cautioning you about potential engine damage since the LR aluminum engine cannot tolerate overheating like a cast iron typical American motor could.

It's your rig, trash it if you dare.

I just find it sad that so many of today's youth think they are so whatever.............................

Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Man,

I believe we were both just trying to save you some grief.

"DM tells me there is no way that the coolant can end up in the exhaust through the valley pan gasket but I just want to check for the hell of it."

Mike was sharing his wealth of experience with you. I also was merely cautioning you about potential engine damage since the LR aluminum engine cannot tolerate overheating like a cast iron typical American motor could.

It's your rig, trash it if you dare.

I just find it sad that so many of today's youth think they are so whatever.............................
The only reason that I want to check about the valley pan gasket is because after speaking to another tech that sees a lot of Land Rovers he suggested to check for a valley pan gasket leak as well. Like I said I'm just trying to learn, if I was so whatever then I wouldn't be on here asking. No offense taken and I didn't mean to start any arguments or rub the wrong way, like I said before, just asking questions. Thanks for the warning danny lee, just sounded so................ insulting

Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

You won't know if you don't ask.

Just because you know the answer does not mean everyone else does.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 PM

No offense taken here, truly. I am just an old outspoken redneck so I may say something at times that may ruffle your feathers, but do try not to let it get to you.

I also like to use redneck humor. "Here's your sign" (does that sound familar). Or how about, "That's funny, I don't give a Damn who you are" or maybe I might be a Redneck, A redneck in a Rover..............

The DVD sounds interesting, I would be interested in it. Let us know how good it is.

Also let us know what you do find as you proceed with it, just take care not to cook it down before you find the problem.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Please do a pressure test before you dive into a headgasket. Seriously!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM

I agree with Spike regarding questions asked. I know I ask a lot of them. The pressure test is an excellent tool to point you in the right direction. I know none of us want to throw away money on a maybe.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah I will get the pressure test done once the tool becomes available at advance auto. They rent it out for free (if you return it). I'm taking your guys' advice and not driving the car to keep the engine from turning into an "anchor." But since I distinctly smell the sweetness from the exhaust I don't think it's coming out from the back of the engine and dripping onto the cats. Anyways just getting over being pretty sick for 2 days so I'll be updating this as I find out more information. Thanks again everyone

Quick Reply: Sweet smell from exhaust! ohnoessss