Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tail Lights and Brake Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Lights and Brake Light Issue

Well now after doing a bunch of research and working on this issue I am hopefully close to narrowing it down. Alright it started with my interior dash lights being out I could turn my headlights on they work find how my dash lights turn off when I turn the headlights off, my rear right brake light is also out. I replaced the switch it wasn't that. After checking the dimmer switch I believe it is the reason so I am going to try and replace that this weekend. Do you guys think my right rear brake light could be out because of the dimmer switch?

This brings me to my next problem, when I turn on my headlights my left rear tail light is out but the brake light on the left works and then as I said above the right brake light is out but the tail light is out. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't those the same bulbs on the tail light housing? So then it is in fact an electrical issue and not a burned out bulb?

Thanks and ideas are appreciated

Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Mudding

theres 2 filaments in the brake light bulbs, so it is possible that you have one that went out and not the other, pull the bulb and see, how did you come to the conclusion that your dimmer switch is bad? first things first, check your bulbs, theres a good chance thats your problem.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Three Wheeling

well I think its the dimmer switch because I turn on the headlights and the dash lights aren't on however the radio does like up its the speed and tach that doesn't light up and when I move the dimmer switch the radio lights don't dim down at all they stay the same the entire time

Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ghost lights

You have a bad ground connection!
use a jumper wire from the rear light cluster's ground to a good ground and check for correct light operation.
Alternatively the bulb holder has overheated and one or more connections are faulty. I soldered wires from the metal tracks to the bulb holder and no more ghost lights.
For the instrument cluster problem: put your nose close to the stalk switch and smell for burnt. I cooked mine while towing a bad trailer.
Rebuilding the switch is easier than removing it from the steering column.
The dimmer is also easy to test: remove it, connest an Hom meter and rotate the dimmer control. If at any point the resistance goes to infinity, the track is burned out and just get one from a junk yard.

SD