Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Take off stall

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take off stall

I have searched high and low and tried every procedure I can find on this and now I am giving it over to the LRF brain trust.

Cold start is fine. Rev it in my driveway, fine. The moment I start driving it and come to a stop and try to take off it almost stalls.

Any ideas?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is a tough one to figure out, mine had this problem because of a faulty coolant temp sensor and it was flooding out, it would not stall but come close.
It can also be a dirty/faulty IACV.
What makes this so hard to figure out is that your truck is not OBDII compliant so you cannot plug in a scanner and read live data.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Exactly Spike! I was battling a code 48, cleaned out the IACV and all seemed well.. But then the code kept coming back. Parts I have tried as a result of testing (follow my logic):
Plugs, installed new ones not that long ago due to carbon build up, new ones were the same but found my plug wires had a couple arcs which I believe we're causing build up. I am using NGK coppers, new wires are NGK.

Fuel filter, looked like it had never been replaced, turns out it had but better safe than sorry.

I did the cam due to lifter noise (did have this problem before cam but thought the cam was a contributing factor) and thought it should help with any fuel richness.

Adjusted timing and set base idle, although I am not 100% sure I did it correctly as the instructions indicate you block off the port on the throttle body but there are 2 of them.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Once you get underway again, does it run fine?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Did you clean the plunger as well as the hole in the manifold, how about the t/body, when was it last cleaned.
You may just have a failing IAC that will need to be replaced.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
Adjusted timing and set base idle, although I am not 100% sure I did it correctly as the instructions indicate you block off the port on the throttle body but there are 2 of them.

that was the first thing i was going to suggest checking, as i recall you recently had it all apart and needed to redo the timing after your cam work.

does it run awesome throughout the rest of the rpm range, or is it sluggish or "a bit off" once its up and moving also...?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It runs fine after I take off, as I sit at a stop it feels like it starts misfiring, stumbling. I tap on the throttle and power is gone, then a stumble then full power.

I talked to my rover buddy at a LR dealer who has a 96, he recommended checking the wiring harness back by the LR taillight that goes to the fuel pump. His was shorting at a connector back there causing the same type of symptom, mostly do to movement/ driving but fine when just sitting in the driveway. Thoughts?

Also has anyone had a kick down cable cause this type of concern? Mine is damaged but moves freely, I have had a new one for sometime just have not gone through the effort to install it.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is fuel pressure at idle when warmed up.
Name:  becaae57.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  64.1 KB

Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Kick down cable will not cause this to happen.
Drive with the pressure gauge hooked up and see what changes.
What about answering my question from my last post?

Old 05-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, thoroughly cleaned the valve and intake port when I did the cam. I was thinking of cruising my neighborhood with the gauge hooked up as I cannot close the hood all the way with the fuel gauge run through to the windshield.

How do you guys clean the maf?

Quick Reply: Take off stall