Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Terrafirma Kit reviews and your opinions wanted, even if they stink

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Terrafirma Kit reviews and your opinions wanted, even if they stink

I've read through countless suspension threads and it seems most say the Terrafirma kit is good, but usually by those who don't even have it. Price is great. I'd like to first hear from those who actually have the kit, and then I'd love for any opinions for what I should do/get for my setup and intentions.

Questions I'd like to get answered if the TF kit owners don't mind:

How has it held up?
Anyone running the light duty?
Anyone running the medium duty with no added weight? (no bumpers, winch, or roof rack)
Anyone actually done quite a bit off-roading with the kit and reviews on it?

Info for opinions I'd like from anyone for my setup:

I don't have any extra weight, and don't plan to. no bumpers (trimmed mine), no winch, no rack, no ladder, just a few gallons of fluids and a couple wrenches in back)
I will be doing some light to moderate wheeling probably once a month or so.
It is my daily driver, but I only drive about 20 miles a week.
I'm looking to get 245/75's OR 235/85's (that's a debate for another thread).

Thanks in advance
DIIB

Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the med with 245/75s, I like it and have no extr weight, I suggest the extended brake lines. Haven't had it really off-road since I put it on, but I've had my truck with the stock setup and street tires about everywhere I wanted to go, including about every trail at uwharrie national forest, so the extra 2+" and ATs can't hurt. If you are gonna use it you will have to trim the rear fenders. You can see pics of my rig in my camel cut thread.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Pro Wrench

Sorry its tf lift pics thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good thread topic... I have kinda wondered the same thing

Old 05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm gonna go for 265 75 now that I have a lift and hope I don't need too much trimming.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by tweakrover
I have the med with 245/75s, I like it and have no extr weight, I suggest the extended brake lines. Haven't had it really off-road since I put it on, but I've had my truck with the stock setup and street tires about everywhere I wanted to go, including about every trail at uwharrie national forest, so the extra 2+" and ATs can't hurt. If you are gonna use it you will have to trim the rear fenders. You can see pics of my rig in my camel cut thread.
Thanks Tweak. I like your ride and your setup...mine will look quite similar soon!

Follow-up question: you suggest extended brake lines, and I see that suggested all the time for anything over 2"...why do you suggest it? Just precautionary? Or you've flexed it some and saw it was necessary for full flexibility?

I'm asking because I'm most likely going to order the TF medium kit in the next couple of days, and I definitely don't have any extra weight (and don't plan on adding any soon) and so if I need to get the brake lines I'd like to do it at the same time and save on shipping.

Anyone else running a TF kit?

Thanks again, DIIB

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Pro Wrench

I had to loosen the bracket on the back lines to get the axle down far enough for the install and they just seemed to tight for comfort

Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tweakrover
Really, trimming for 245s even with a lift? That surprises me. I would have guessed you could fit them stock.

Originally Posted by turf63
I'm gonna go for 265 75 now that I have a lift and hope I don't need too much trimming.
I have 265s and can stuff the tire, haven't trimmed a thing. It looks like the PO may have shaved off a tiny section of the flange but I can't really tell. Lemme see if I can find that pic. Once in a very very great while my lugs will rub faintly on the body work, but that's about it. Not a TF kit, it's the OME HD springs.

Attached Thumbnails Terrafirma Kit reviews and your opinions wanted, even if they stink-cimg1431.jpg   Terrafirma Kit reviews and your opinions wanted, even if they stink-cimg1432.jpg  

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-05-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Really, trimming for 245s even with a lift? That surprises me. I would have guessed you could fit them stock.

I have 265s and can stuff the tire, haven't trimmed a thing. It looks like the PO may have shaved off a tiny section of the flange but I can't really tell. Lemme see if I can find that pic. Once in a very very great while my lugs will rub faintly on the body work, but that's about it. Not a TF kit, it's the OME HD springs.
Hey, nice pics! And applicable too!

I would venture a guess that the OME HD's are similar in lift height to the TF Med's from what I've heard/read/seen. I, too, have not heard before that I would need ANY trimming with 245/75's and any 2" lift, led alone the "strong" TF 2", as opposed to the OME "weak" 2".

Thanks for your input. I'd like to go OME if money wasn't a factor because of track record and proven off-road longevity, but I like TF's price and slightly more lift with the 2".

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought of doing the FJ80 coils? That's what I'd do if I wanted to lift one on a budget. Move your D1 rear coils to the front, add front FJ80 coils to the rear, voila! 2" coil lift. That's what AKdisco did, cost him like $50. Then you can put money toward better shocks.

Quick Reply: Terrafirma Kit reviews and your opinions wanted, even if they stink