Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Terrafirma Kit reviews and your opinions wanted, even if they stink

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Have you thought of doing the FJ80 coils? That's what I'd do if I wanted to lift one on a budget. Move your D1 rear coils to the front, add front FJ80 coils to the rear, voila! 2" coil lift. That's what AKdisco did, cost him like $50. Then you can put money toward better shocks.
Damn you! I've been reading through that thread, actually just read through the entire thing tonight...very tempting. And since this is my "fun, budgeted, do the "f" what I want with it, etc" Rover, I might just do that. I don't care too much about keeping up with the "jones-es", and I'd like to go wheeling once a month, which would be much more than I do now.

Besides, my hood is all mangled from not having the "heat shield" or insulation pad underhood and the aluminum engine getting it hot enough to melt the paint! But if I spend $75 on springs instead of say, $250, I can put $200 towards getting my hood fixed. Win-win, no?

The only reason why I'm torn, is because I have the $1K right now, which can get me the TF med kit ($480ish shipped from Underground Rovers) and a set of 245/75 AT's from TreadWright. So it's probably a good time for me to just kit the whole kit, seeing as I technically have the money and i'm on original 14-15 yr old suspension.

Last edited by DiscoIIBrandon; 05-05-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
Damn you! I've been reading through that thread, actually just read through the entire thing tonight...very tempting. And since this is my "fun, budgeted, do the "f" what I want with it, etc" Rover, I might just do that. I don't care too much about keeping up with the "jones-es", and I'd like to go wheeling once a month, which would be much more than I do now.

Besides, my hood is all mangled from not having the "heat shield" or insulation pad underhood and the aluminum engine getting it hot enough to melt the paint! But if I spend $75 on springs instead of say, $250, I can put $200 towards getting my hood fixed. Win-win, no?

The only reason why I'm torn, is because I have the $1K right now, which can get me the TF med kit ($480ish shipped from Underground Rovers) and a set of 245/75 AT's from TreadWright. So it's probably a good time for me to just kit the whole kit, seeing as I technically have the money and i'm on original 14-15 yr old suspension.
Spend it how you want, I'm just saying there are cheaper ways, and a lot of other worthwhile stuff to consider... Not that Terrafirma is bad, I don't really know, but I've always gone for either top-of-the-line or a dirt cheap redneck hack. Just my way of approaching it.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Spend it how you want, I'm just saying there are cheaper ways, and a lot of other worthwhile stuff to consider... Not that Terrafirma is bad, I don't really know, but I've always gone for either top-of-the-line or a dirt cheap redneck hack. Just my way of approaching it.
Hah, i'm the same way. Either go all out and get the best possible, or "fake it till you make it".

However, I think the FJ coils with some OME nitro shocks might be the best of both worlds. The lift I need to fit the tires, and some quality shocks to help with ride and comfort and off-road.

Am I right in thinking the shocks control the ride comfort and off-road comfort more and the springs control the height more?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Further investigation...POLL.

What would you get and why? Or what do think would be better?
Price seems to come out around the same.

A. NEW Terrafirma 2" lift kit, springs and shocks $480ish shipped

2. NEW OME Nitro shocks and used FJ coils, $360ish for shocks, $75ish for coils.

I've heard lots of good things about Terrafirma, but I have recently heard that they don't hold up long term as well as OME for off-roading. I don't off-road a lot, but I plan on having this truck for a long time and would like to get it dirty a couple times a month.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You already know, but I'm at option 2 (B?) because you can easily upgrade to OME coils at some point later down the road (if you decide there's any need). The OME Nitro shocks are known for great control on and off road.

Shocks make a huge difference in the handling of a vehicle. I have cheap shocks in mine (Pro Comp) and I wish I had Nitros every time I hit the trail. The Pro Comps seem to be firm at all the wrong times, and soft at all the wrong times as well. Can't speak for the Terrafirmas, but I will say don't cut any corners on shock selection.

One final advantage of option 2, is used coils have already settled, so whatever amount of lift you get will likely be the same a few years down the road.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Ome's and fjs!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

For any of you that measured the before and after, what sort of actual lift did you get and with which springs?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I used the fZj springs which are a little too tall so of you look back at akdiscos thread the numbers are in there. I got an inch more in the back almost 1.5 inches more. Looks to have a bit of a rake. Would be perfect with gear etc. I went from 31.5 to 33 up front. And from 31.75 to 34.5 in the back. So 1.5 up front and 2.75 in the rear I feel like if I got reg fj coils the rear wouldnt have been as drastic. I believe the fzj's were for the newer model yota with a heavier towing capability and were a tad higher.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

But for 75$.....