Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

thick oil on lower engine and left tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thick oil on lower engine and left tie rod

i will take a picture if needed. I don't know whats leaking. car used to have bad power steering leak but not any more. the mystery black stuff is shinny some places. I have been checking oil and it has not gone down. Mom said she has never added oil her whole ownership (4 or 5 years ) so I checked and it was way under low. added oil have been checking it it has not gone down (noticeably down)

I was wondering should I degrease to see if there is still a leak and or where its coming from

Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. Clean it up good using Simple Green and old rags. May take awhile if there is a lot of build up. Once you have it cleaned up watch it for the leak. If it has never had oil added, has it ever had oil changed? If not you really need to get on that.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on what discomedic says

Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
4wd Low

I added oil last week 4 quarts to get it it to full and the check engine light which has been on for years it went off. Can I just use a engine cleaner/ simple green and a power washer don't feel like srubbin for hours

Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Winching

The problem with power washing these engines if that the electronics can get wet and then it is game over. The ECU is on the left fender, also the alt can get wet and quit. That's why everyone on here says it is safest to stay away from power washing. That being said I power washed the area around my power steering pump and my front axle being very careful of which way I pointed the stream. Everything else I cleaned by hand. So pick your poison but be very careful. Has the routine maintenance been kept up on your disco? Such as coolant changes, oil changes, diff oil changes, air filter changes, oil filter changes, UJ's greased regularly, etc? If not I would suggest you get on the 60K service sticky asap or you will find that it goes downhill quick. If you don't really want to spend much time with your disco you probably should sell it for something else. These things are like a high maintenance girlfriend.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
4wd Low

ok I will tell the owner now. I was telling her that it really needed a trip to land rover. but she will be more willing if I show her your reply. I guess I'm lucky because I did a engine clean when I added the oil and power steering. it only cleaned the top half of the engine. if I showed you a picture the stuff is really thick. I will take pic's tomorrow.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Post some pics of the oil, it might just be the power steering fluid mixed with road grim.
Your mom knows that the truck REQUIRES premium gas right?
How many miles on it?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Lil-Kim-got-My_sandwich
ok I will tell the owner now. I was telling her that it really needed a trip to land rover. but she will be more willing if I show her your reply. I guess I'm lucky because I did a engine clean when I added the oil and power steering. it only cleaned the top half of the engine. if I showed you a picture the stuff is really thick. I will take pic's tomorrow.
Probably doesn't need to go to the stealership just needs some tender loving devotion.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by discomedic4
Probably doesn't need to go to the stealership just needs some tender loving devotion.

lol i don't have the mechanical knowledge to do it myself have to take it somewhere

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
Post some pics of the oil, it might just be the power steering fluid mixed with road grim.
Your mom knows that the truck REQUIRES premium gas right?
How many miles on it?

have to check the miles i will say its way over 200,000 and she knows to put premium in it. its funny that you bring that up. I have been telling her for the longest to put that in it and the reason she doesn't hear knocking is because it has a sensor to prevent knock she has somehow convinced me to use a cheaper gas . I will never do it again its slow and feels power less and it also has a delay when putting your foot down my first and last being cheap experience.

Quick Reply: thick oil on lower engine and left tie rod