Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

thick oil on lower engine and left tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read a great article on gas the other day, it was in a DAP mag I had laying in my truck from the rally I went to back in the spring I'll see if I can scan it and post it.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench

I must have thrown it away, the whole of it was that the manufacturer of a vehicle knows what type of gas to use cause they designed the engine, and that the method for determining the octane rating in the uk is diff than in the us. there are 2 methods the uk uses 1 and the us uses the average of both. have you ever noticed the little r+m/2 on the pumps. so the uk's standard gas is acctually higher than ours. when you use 87 it causes preignition you may not hear it but the engine retards the timing to compensate, so you are losing power and mpg. also in cars not reqiring high octane , premium does not burn completly leaving deposits. so use what the manufacturer tells you!!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil-Kim-got-My_sandwich
I added oil last week 4 quarts to get it it to full and the check engine light which has been on for years it went off. Can I just use a engine cleaner/ simple green and a power washer don't feel like srubbin for hours
First question: Rather than add 4 quarts, why did you not go ahead and change filter and add 6 quarts and start off fresh? When it is that low, you may as wll do a change.

Second Question: if you don't feel like scrubbing it good to find out what is wrong, you should not even be driving it, if you don't care enough to invest a few hours cleaning/maintaining it. Does it cut into your X-Box and Facebook time too much?

If you can't put forth a reasonable effort you should get something else to abuse. Sounds like that Rover has had a life of neglect to be 4 quarts low and all caked up before anything is done to correct it.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-29-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

simple green and a power washer or garden hose with nozzle will clean that up good enough,

Change the darn oil..

Steps

1. pull drain plug
2 replace drain plug
3. remove filter
4.Fill new filter with oil
5 Screw new filter on
6 Pour in more oil.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Its his moms truck.
Looks like a power steering leak, it might be a oil cooler line leak, I am not sure where the oil cooler lines run, I think in the drivers side and out the passenger side, the oil cooler is in front of the radiator.
That would explain the extremely low on oil.
Do you have auto ramps? If so take them with you to the DIY car wash, run the front of the truck up on the ramps, let it cool for 15 min then power wash the underside.
The hot water will help the oil come off easier and their degreaser will work well, let it soak in too.
And the oil will get recycled when their water/oil separators get full.
Thats what those big drains are, a 3 stage water/oil separator.
If anyone is interested I will tell you how they work, if not I wont.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
First question: Rather than add 4 quarts, why did you not go ahead and change filter and add 6 quarts and start off fresh? When it is that low, you may as wll do a change.

Second Question: if you don't feel like scrubbing it good to find out what is wrong, you should not even be driving it, if you don't care enough to invest a few hours cleaning/maintaining it. Does it cut into your X-Box and Facebook time too much?

If you can't put forth a reasonable effort you should get something else to abuse. Sounds like that Rover has had a life of neglect to be 4 quarts low and all caked up before anything is done to correct it.
its not my truck so don't get mad at me its my mothers. She is the one neglecting it. I stared this post to try to fix her wrong doings. and I added the 4 quarts because I didn't have tools for this bigger is better truck.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Spike555
Its his moms truck.
Looks like a power steering leak, it might be a oil cooler line leak, I am not sure where the oil cooler lines run, I think in the drivers side and out the passenger side, the oil cooler is in front of the radiator.
That would explain the extremely low on oil.
Do you have auto ramps? If so take them with you to the DIY car wash, run the front of the truck up on the ramps, let it cool for 15 min then power wash the underside.
The hot water will help the oil come off easier and their degreaser will work well, let it soak in too.
And the oil will get recycled when their water/oil separators get full.
Thats what those big drains are, a 3 stage water/oil separator.
If anyone is interested I will tell you how they work, if not I wont.
THANKS Will have to steal the ramps from under my beetle that's been sitting for almost 2 years. Will ask her to do this tomorrow. and HOW DOES IT WORK PROFESSOR

Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, since you asked...a water/oil separator (ALL car washes have them as well as parking lots, look for 2-3 manhole covers in a row) separates the water/dirt/oil.
The drain water first goes into one separator, there is a pipe at the bottom that goes into the next one, then another pipe that goes into the next one and then a pipe that goes out of that to the city sewer.
The oil/water goes into the first separator, oil is lighter than water so it rides ontop, the level rises and the water drains through the pipe into the next separator and so on.
The dirt settles to the bottom.
Once the dirt clogs the pipe going from #1 to #2 they need to be cleaned.
You come in with a vac truck and suck out the oily water and dirt, it then goes to be recycled.
Does not sound like it would work but it does.
Car washes actually reuse 60% of the "dirty" water, you use more water washing your car at home than at a automatic car wash.
I used to clean water/oil separators with a vac truck, it was hard work but running a vac truck was fun, it has so much suction it would literally suck your face off.
Different company but a guy actually lost his arm to a vac truck, 35,000 psi of sucking power, I could suck grass out of the ground roots and all.

Quick Reply: thick oil on lower engine and left tie rod