Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Throttle Position Sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensor.

You can use almost any other TPS on the market as a replacement if: The throttle valve is mounted like yours and the TPS is used in that direction. Manufacturers like to make things difficult by using the same rated sensors in different configurations. What I mean is if you look at the rotation range on the TPS it will be almost different from manufacturer to manufacturer. It is the same rated sensor keep in mind. The sensor still uses the same voltage and resistor ratings. How to use another TPS in exchange for yours. Well first look for the cheapest sensor on the market and look at the engine it mounts to. Does the throttle valve face the same direction as yours. Meaning towards the roadside (drivers) of the vehicle. Next; the disco throttle valve works in the degree range from 0 to 45 degrees. The top of the throttle vavle pivots forward towards the drivers side of the vehicle. The TPS you purchase will need to perform the same range of motion, from the top down towards the drivers side. Some of the TPS's out there will need to be mounted differently than your bolt pattern to work. Too easy. Use a thin sheet of flat steel and make it like a gasket. Drill the holes where you need them and liquid nail it to the bottom of the TPS. Works and works perfect. I have tried three different styles now. I like the motorcraft for $17. The component quality is superior to the Land Rover TPS for longevity. If you want more details PM me.

The following users liked this post:
greenrovey (01-26-2024)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you
I appreciate your input and will consider it when the time comes.

SD

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So how can I apply this to my D2?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LRD2&ME,

Great information!!! - I've never had great luck with the TPS on any vehicle I've owned that was equipted with such - I was a little awestruck at the price of a simple POT device - When I looked it up at the local AZ/Orielly - 99.00+

I would definitely be interested and in your debt to see some pics of your work in action, as well as possible part numbers...

Love reading your posts!!!

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...