Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ticking after head gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011 | 08:01 PM
|
8th Gear
Default Ticking after head gasket job

Okay, here's one for you guys. I did my head gaskets a few weeks ago. Everything went fine, except there is now a ticking coming from the driver side valve cover that increases in frequency as you rev the engine.

So... I didn't touch the tappets when I was in there, but there is a chance that one of the pushrods on that side got flipped end for end as I was cleaning it, and so was put back in the right slot but upside down.

Based on Spencer's experience with Marvel Mystery Oil (it made the clicking go away), I tried an oil additive that was supposed to reduce clicking, but it seems to have done nothing. Next thing I was going to try was going the opposite direction and switching to a much heavier grade oil to take up the tolerances, but I'm really flying blind at this point.

Could flipping the pushrod have caused this? Is there anything else I can do without pulling the tappets, camshaft etc etc?

Thanks in advance,

Tor

Old 05-09-2011 | 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I mean how sure are you that everything on that side went back totally right other than that one push rod. There are a whole bunch of moving parts under that rocker cover. Even if something got bumped.....I would say pop the valve cover and have a gander.

Old 05-09-2011 | 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench

remove the intake plenum to remove the valve cover, reinstall the plenum and start the engine and allow it to warm up ( little or no oil will leak out) , once the noise starts you will be better able to pinpoint it . I went through the same situation....and the culprit ended up being a rocker arm that the steel "socket" insert for the pushrod would loosen up as it came up to temp. let us know what you find

Old 05-09-2011 | 10:12 PM
Pro Wrench

thanks for making me a star!

Sorry it didn't work Do what they said^ then if all else experiment with oil weights and pray/cry

Old 05-09-2011 | 10:18 PM
|
8th Gear

Oh man, I've been over it in my head a million times... did everything go back in perfect? I guess what I keep thinking is that if something were seriously out there would be a serious problem... you know if one of the pushrods didn't get seated correctly, I'd be getting a misfire, etc. So I feel like if I pop the valve cover (which took me half a day last time) it's doubtful that I'll actually be able to see anything.

Does that make sense? Any ideas what it might actually be?

Tor

edit: oops, posted this without seeing last two replies. Wow, it never, ever would have occurred to me to run the car with the valve cover off. Isn't it a pressurized oil system and oil will spray everywhere like a son of a gun? I guess not, if you did it... okay, I'll definitely have to bring the camcorder along when I try this. At the very least should be good entertainment value.

edit #2: and you were already a star, spencer

Last edited by torerickson; 05-09-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2011 | 06:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I had some ticking after I did my head gaskets. Did not dawn on me that I heat tanked my heads and then did not add any lube to the rod connecting points. It did go away after a bit of running time.

Old 05-28-2011 | 07:47 PM
|
8th Gear

Whoa. I can't believe Spencer is riding around on a motorcycle...

Anyways, I went ahead and pulled the valve cover and started the truck.

I won't tell the results, but I video taped everything for the forum's entertainment and will post in a couple of days when I edit the movie together.

It was interesting.

Tor

Old 05-28-2011 | 07:56 PM

Loose exhaust connections like at the y pipe or manifold can give you a ticking noise. I avoid the additivies, but I did change to MAXLIFE and was amazed at the improvement in no more slight sporadic ticking or tapping, better responsiveness, better pep when you goose the throttle. And I have never had a different oil show anywhere near that improvement in so many areas.

Good Luck, We want to see that vid.

Old 07-24-2011 | 04:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by torerickson
Whoa. I can't believe Spencer is riding around on a motorcycle...

Anyways, I went ahead and pulled the valve cover and started the truck.

I won't tell the results, but I video taped everything for the forum's entertainment and will post in a couple of days when I edit the movie together.

It was interesting.

Tor
well?

Old 07-24-2011 | 04:57 PM

Taking quite a while to edit the video, hope there are some really juicy scenes in it.

Any hot women helping you out with the oily mess?

Quick Reply: Ticking after head gasket job