Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Today my 96 Discovery became a Mercedes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Today my 96 Discovery became a Mercedes.

So after all this time working on the 96 and getting everything right on it, today the original owner traded me his White 2002 Mercedes E320 4Matic for it even trade. Fully loaded and a very sweet car with 150k on it.

There are a few little issues I still want to fix on the rover for him and ordered all the parts to finish it from Will Tillery today.

I happy he's getting the 96 back as it was his since new. I'll continue to maintain it for him as time goes by. It's good to see it returning.

But the problem is, for the first time in almost 5 years I'm roverless. I'm going to hold out this time for a diesel rover, or one of the older Land Rovers (like the 110).

Till then, Thanks for all the help I've gotten from this baord over the years and I'll catch you all on the flip!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man, what a score.
Best of luck to you both.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice score indeed. I had a similar Mercedes; they're great cars!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have fun with the Benz!

There is a diesel 92/97 hybrid for sale on eBay now.

Land Rover : Discovery | eBay

Needs a lot of cosmetic work on the interior, but the drivetrain sounds solid.

A 110 would be nice, too. I imagine myself driving one sometimes. Then I snap back to reality.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will love the Benz! (the parts cost even more, although you will need less of them)

Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
Have fun with the Benz!

There is a diesel 92/97 hybrid for sale on eBay now.

Land Rover : Discovery | eBay

Needs a lot of cosmetic work on the interior, but the drivetrain sounds solid.

A 110 would be nice, too. I imagine myself driving one sometimes. Then I snap back to reality.
Interesting truck. Premium price though, considering it's missing most of the interior. And the build isn't complete. (Heater A/C etc don't work) Could be minor things... could be $$$ things. Still... A VERY cool truck. 5 speed even. Would be a hell of a deal for someone cause you would be hard pressed to put a diesel into a discovery for less than that... The seller seems to have some older Rovers sitting around that property in the pictures. I almost wonder if this lace didn't do the conversion...

Defender 110 Wagon

I say that because, in this build picture you can see the front of a trck sitting there that looks like it....

Anyways... very cool, and if I had 8k in my pocket right now I would be all over it. I really want a 110 with a diesel. BUT, I would really like to find one that has a OM603 6 cyl Turbo, or even a OM617. The 603 is the MB rocket ship motor (9 second 0-60 in my 87 300D) and still pulls 30+ mpg. The simplicity of these older MB diesels plus the availability of cheap parts, and even spare engines coupled with the fact that they are almost bullet proof and simple to maintain and work on, really makes them one of my favorite platforms in existence. Course it also does not hurt that I currently own a OM617 NA, and OM617 Turbo, and an OM603 Turbo and know how to work on them myself....

Last edited by ngarover; 06-15-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM
TReK
Received 441 Likes on 366 Posts

After all the work, frustration, and spark plugs you put into that truck, it is finally 'paying you back'.

Well done and good luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
After all the work, frustration, and spark plugs you put into that truck, it is finally 'paying you back'.

Well done and good luck!
Ya. I'm actually sad for the single reason that I know I'll never find or have another D1 in its shape.. it's all but perfect. Aside from a little quarter sized dent in the rear quarter, finding another totally rust free truck with a perfect interior... very hard. Plus, of course I know every part of the truck intimately.

But, the car books at close to 8k... and I would never be able to sell the rover for anything close to that. Plus it will be a much better vehicle for hauling around my 3 kids.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Which Benz Can I Have

I'll help you find a Rover for any one of those Benz's.

I really want another older Benz. I miss my 86 420 SEL.

Glad you got such a sweet deal and the original owner got his Rover back with it straightened out.

I really want to continue with my Discovery as a fun and "work" vehicle and score another big Benz for a comfortable ride.

My "work" has become that of a modern day metals miner. Instead of digging the metals out of the earth, I am digging them out of whatever I find put out for the trash and mining the copper, aluminum, Stainless, and then combining the other stuff as bulk steel. That has been paying for my Rover parts lately.

The stuff is basically free. I cram whatever I can find in the back of the Rover. It is a two seater now. I cleaned out my clutter garage and basement.
Set up some re-enforced work benches and sorted all my collection of tools into workable sets.

Deconstruction is easy than construction. It is downright amazing how much copper and aluminum is contained inside the items that get thrown out each week as trash by our ever hungry consumer society. It is tax-free. And it keeps all this stuff from ending up in the land fill.

Plus you can take out your frustration busting stuff open and grabbing the precious metals contained within. I use an old bench vise like a big nutcracker. Large visegrip pliers, hammers ( I have one neat one I call Thor)
and various other tools I have on hand. What I cannot recycle ends up then going to the landfill.

I just need to figure out how to reclaim the gold from some of those big circuit boards. That would be some real money. I have gotten good at popping various transformers and other coils apart to get the bare copper and ripping the heat sinks off because they are pure aluminum.

Each item may only contain a few ounces of each, but that stuff accumulates quicker than you would think. Knowing what my wife's grandmother did to get them thru the depression and what her dad did as a coal m,iner for over 40 years has inspired me.

I have also gotten pretty good at repairing and refinishing some of the really sweet antique furniture that people toss out. I donated some things to the senior center and a church group that assist others in need.

This has made me a much humbler and appreciative person and has brought back my kinder, gentler side.

Plus I do not need to buy very many hardware items as I also have started accumulating a good supply of fasteners and such. POVERTY AIN'T SO BAD WHEN YOU FULLY EMBRACE IT.
HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE.