Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transfer Box Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transfer Box Issues

Hi all, new to the site and new to land rovers in general!

Have come in search of some help and advice!

I have a brand new (to me) 1996 Discovery 1. 4.0l Automatic. Has been off the road for a couple of years and is currently uninsured so I'm working in limited space in my back yard.

I've been having some issues with the transfer box. Here there are:

1:
Lock/Unlock moves nicely. Light comes up on the dash and goes out as it should and tracing the rod down to the Transfer Box I can see the arm is rotating. However when I try the 1 wheel off the ground and spin test I can't get it to spin.

2:
The High/Low section was stuck in High. I took the console out and got some rust remover / lube / get things unstuck lube all over the rods and the linkages. I thought it was freeing up and then SNAP. Its broken on the link just above the transfer box - Whats going to be my easiest route of action here? Seems impossible for me to get my hands up in there let alone tools.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't worry about the results of your spin test. The frozen up shifter is normal when not used, combination of rust linkage parts but mainly the pivot point that needs to be cleaned out completely and regreased, kind of a PIA job.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Could be a bad interlock solenoid in the transfer case.

Solenoid - Transmission/ Transfer Box Interlock (Genuine Part # FTC3283) - Land Rover switches/control unit/actuators from Atlantic British

A lot of people just remove it and remember to not shift it while driving.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Overlanding

You was right on the money with regards the solenoid. I took it out and could instantly manually shift the High/Low lever down on the Transfer box. I'll most likely leave it out for the time being.

Disco Mike - what makes you say not to worry? Is it possible for the Transfer box to be unlocked and still have the 1 wheel not spin? Could it be because its sat for so long? Or???

Now that I've got the High/Low sorted and I can see the part I need to replace I would really like to confirm the Diff Lock side of things.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Overlanding

Ok I've put a days insurance on it (and now its pouring with rain! great!). I've just taken it out for a drive and its definitely acting like the CDL is locked. Any sharp turns and I can hear the wheels scuffing across the road.

The lever on the transfer case seems to move as it should so I'm wondering if its an internal problem?

Any advice as to where I can go from here with my diagnosis?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Overlanding

I took the inspection cover off of the transfer box only to be greeted with lots of small chunks of what looks like a gear. Great

Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dan_t
I took the inspection cover off of the transfer box only to be greeted with lots of small chunks of what looks like a gear. Great
Sounds like what Tom Rowe posted:

CV's? Front or rear spider gears? Something else? - DiscoWeb Message Boards

Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Overlanding

Looks like this could be a good chance as I've inspected all the gears that I can visually see through the cover and they all look fine.

Looks like I've bought a Lemon here with a 2 week old baby this is not what I needed.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your best bet may be to locate a good used one and replace that one altogether.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dan_t
Looks like this could be a good chance as I've inspected all the gears that I can visually see through the cover and they all look fine.

Looks like I've bought a Lemon here with a 2 week old baby this is not what I needed.
you might check with this guy: D2 locking T cases $200 shipped - DiscoWeb Message Boards

I'm not sure if D2 cases work on a d1, I think they do. If not, he's probably got D1 cases too.

Quick Reply: Transfer Box Issues