Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transfer case moves only in D or P?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case moves only in D or P?

While I am still trying to figure out my overheating problem, I figured I would have as much fun in my disco based on the limitation I can't drive it anywhere ... as a result, while waiting for it to warm up today I tried playing around with the transfer case shifter and noticed ...

In N as recommended for shifting it doesn't move AT ALL ... can't do anything to get it to budge ..

In P or D, it will shift between L and H range with almost no difficulity ...

I didn't try going into the diff lock as I didn't know if it was good to move shifter out of N anyway (did it the first time by accident as I forgot I was in D....

What gives???

Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right on the money. Mine is the same way. It is easier to shift gears while they are moving a little than when they are static. They align better. As for the diff lock, you can do that any time. Just not recommended on dry hard surfaces, but still ok if moving straight. (still don't do it, I don't want to be blamed for nonsenses)

Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by leadfoot
You are right on the money. Mine is the same way. It is easier to shift gears while they are moving a little than when they are static. They align better. As for the diff lock, you can do that any time. Just not recommended on dry hard surfaces, but still ok if moving straight. (still don't do it, I don't want to be blamed for nonsenses)
Thanks for the reply.

Is it just "easier" while in D or moving abit or is something broken on my transfer case?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Rock Crawling

There is a solenoid that is supposed to prevent the shifter from moving unless you are in nuetral. Whatever internal part in the shifter that sends the signal (that you are in nuetral) to open up the solenoid might be out of adjustment or worn-out thus allowing you to move the lever while in the other transmission positions.

Even while 'shifting on the fly' from high to low (speed <5 mph) the manual calls for the main gear selector to be in the 'N' position. You are then supposed to move the transfer lever 'quickly to the required H or L position'.

Bottom line: As long as it works for you...great. If you start having problems though the solenoid can be gutted thereby bypasing this 'feature'.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree 100% with hh65. To me this is one of those "if it is not broken don't fix it"

Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Agree 100% with hh65. To me this is one of those "if it is not broken don't fix it"
I agree as well; however, I don't understand why a broken solenoid which prevents it from only moving in N would make it not work in N but work in other gears?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Not the solenoid but the switch that tells the solenoid the selector is in nuetral. It could be sending that signal in D and R just because it's worn out or out of adjustment. The solenoid actually seems to be working fine...

Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the lever move freely from side to side? It should. You should be able to lock or unlock at any speed and regardless of what gear you are in. If not, you most likely will need to remove the console and access the shifter linkages.

If everything is working correctly, you should only be able to shift H/L in "N". If it is doing otherwise, something is not working correctly.

See the Rover's North webpages for excellent exploded view of all parts. There are also lots of pics of the linkages and such in my link in my signature.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

mine only moves to 4H and to 4L

Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Sam,
Ya might need to free up the shifter linkage... I had get at mine through the console and remove it completely to free up the splined shaft... Once I got it moving good, I greased the heck out of it and been fine ever since...

Quick Reply: Transfer case moves only in D or P?