Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

transmission questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission questions...

so today we set off on our 1800 mile drive. relatively uneventful except the transmission temp light coming on a couple times going up long hills. of coarse i pulled over immediately and let it cool off, but my question is this, should i be going uphill in 3rd to keep this from happening? that seams like the obvious answer in my mind now that i'm not driving but i usually buy stick cars so i wanna know for sure. any help would greatly be appreciated.

also, anyone have a link for the owners manual download? i've got it on my desktop but thats on a moving truck right now...

thanks in advance...

Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is in the rave, just google it

Old 12-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, keeping the trans in 3 will help cool it down.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Mudding

Ya I couldny get rave to download but I just foun a online version so I'm good there. Thanks for the quick replys, fell a bit more confident for tomorrow now that I'm sure, we've got a bit of hilly land to cover in the morning.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Better yet, check and change your fluid and filter before you burn it up. When the light comes on, you are over heating and dropping to a lower gear may make it a little easier on the tranny, bottom line you do have a problem and it will get worse.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Mudding

Right but what is that problem? I haven't really had an issue since we left the mountain areas and I'm Babying it so yea. Should I change all the fluids and throw on a tranny cooler?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It already has a trans cooler.
I dont know how steep the hills are that you are climbing, but if it is low on fluid it could run hotter, the temp sensor does go bad and set off a false warning.
Its going to be hard for you to change the fluid and filter on your trip, you could change the fluid at a quick lube, it easy, there is a drain plug.
Or do it at your destination depending on where you are going.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Mudding

is the factory one that effective? if i change the fluid would that fix the overheating? the hills were pretty damn steep, but some not too much so just long. i've got a few things to check in the morning, but i think she's gonna be checked out at the dealer, the transfer case started whining pretty bad tonight so i had it towed back to a hotel near a dealer if need be. were about half way now and the next land rover shop is 600 miles away so yea.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would check the transfer case fluid along with the transmission fluid. If your tranny fluid is brown, change it. It is burned. Should be a nice red/pink color.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Mudding

yea the fluids bad in the tranny, imma have the dealer change all the fluids tomorrow. should have done all that before i left but too late now. other then this the trucks been absolutely perfect, even been getting 16 mpg along the way.

Quick Reply: transmission questions...