Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission/Steering Issue, Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by raim212
I have someone replacing the CV joint tomorrow, if that doesn't fix the problem, i will remove the driveshaft and when i do that i will try and drain the diff. The plugs look like they are really rusted, not sure if i will even be able to remove them.
It's hard to diagnose something over the internet. I'm curious to hear your train of thought in jumping to replace the CV joint? Did someone in person tell you for sure that's the problem? I always like to start with the easiest and least expensive repair when diagnosing a problem. Why not spend the $15 to change your diff oil first? It only takes 10 minutes and its probably overdue to be changed anyways. Then you can at least rule that out.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
It's hard to diagnose something over the internet. I'm curious to hear your train of thought in jumping to replace the CV joint? Did someone in person tell you for sure that's the problem? I always like to start with the easiest and least expensive repair when diagnosing a problem. Why not spend the $15 to change your diff oil first? It only takes 10 minutes and its probably overdue to be changed anyways. Then you can at least rule that out.
I explained the problems to someone else on here and they said CV joint. I can't turn the disco to the left, feels like a loss of power steering, the right is fine, just not left. He said that it should fix the turning issue as well as the diff issue.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Who is actually doing the work for you?

Instead of telling them what to change, why not have them put it on the lift and start checking things while you stand there and observe? If they cannot determine what the problem is, why are they doing the work on it?

As far as removing anything on your trusty rusty Rover, buy several cans of PB Blaster SPRAY AND START A FEW DAYS AHEAD OF TIME SPRAYING IT DOWN. IT HELPS A WHOLE BUNCH!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Camel Trophy

I agree. Have the guy doing the work troubleshoot and diagnose it. Changing the CV is easy peasy, but that may not be the problem. Separate the drag link from the drop arm on the steering box. Put the truck up on jacks and manually work the wheels left/right. If the problem is gone its your steering box. If the problem remains its probably a CV. Next disconnect the track rod from one side and work each wheel left/right separately. You should be able to isolate the problem to one side this way.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Mudding

not to be rude or blunt but i think someone is blowing smoke up your *** to get your money. just like you transmission ordeal. you can do a lot of things from home to determine that the cause is. i agree with everyone else here and that its the center diff. to check if it is the problem cost you 15 bucks and its not like you are wasting that 15 bucks. ill bet money its way over due. you should really try to look into this yourself rather than taking it in. it will save you a lot of money.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scharfire
not to be rude or blunt but i think someone is blowing smoke up your *** to get your money. just like you transmission ordeal. you can do a lot of things from home to determine that the cause is. i agree with everyone else here and that its the center diff. to check if it is the problem cost you 15 bucks and its not like you are wasting that 15 bucks. ill bet money its way over due. you should really try to look into this yourself rather than taking it in. it will save you a lot of money.
I just had the CV joint on the drivers side replaced and that solved both issues.

I am still going to drain and refill the differentials, since i have had the disco for 8 years and don't recall ever having it done.

It is pretty rusted underneath, i know some people have recommended PB Blaster, can that be purchased at an auto store? Also, once the drain and fill plugs come out, what are the chances that they will go back in, or should i just replace them with new ones?

Thanks again for all the input

Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you take the fill plugs out first, you don't want to get the drains out to find you can't get the fills out to fill it back.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by tweakrover
Make sure you take the fill plugs out first, you don't want to get the drains out to find you can't get the fills out to fill it back.
Word! That's advice to live by. Don't drain something till you're sure you'll be able to refill it. The only reason to replace the diff plugs is if you're fittings magnetic ones in the drain. Otherwise just clean up the threads, throw some Teflon tape on them, and reuse them.
Glad you got your issue sorted.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fishEH
Word! That's advice to live by. Don't drain something till you're sure you'll be able to refill it. The only reason to replace the diff plugs is if you're fittings magnetic ones in the drain. Otherwise just clean up the threads, throw some Teflon tape on them, and reuse them.
Glad you got your issue sorted.

Great advice, thanks.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to look at the 60K maintenace sticky up front and get caught up on what you have overlooked during the last 8 years. It sound like there may be a bit to do if the fluids have not been freshened in that time frame. What about hoses and belts and filters and other minor inconviences?

Quick Reply: Transmission/Steering Issue, Please Help!!