Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Trip Report-1389 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip Report-1389 miles...

I got my Rover about a month or so ago, 96 Disco SE, 111,8xx miles on it when I got it for 2 grand, and then proceded to reverse my smug grin when I started replacing stuff lol. Anyway, I replaced the entire brake system, 2 new O2's, Serpentine, bosch platnums +4's, new wires, and a bunch of smaller stuff. So now I've got Rover running "pretty" good. Its not my daily driver, I got it instead of another pickup and now am gald I did. So Rover is for farm tasks, trails, and to take me to sweet mt biking and kayaking spots.
Thats the backstory, heres the trip. Me, the girlfriend and my dog took off for the family cottage up in the LP of Michigan with Rover loaded down w 10 days worth of gear, bikes, and kayaks straped to the roof (getting roof rack Saturday!!!!). Made it up to the cottage w no major probs. (gf's kayak almost flew off when the damn strap slipped, her face was funny as sh*t lol), so 200 miles of no probs. Then we started finding dirt roads and truck trails to test rover out, since the guys I bought it from claimed it "never touched anything off pavement". No probs. at all. Soooooo I said Fu** It and we went to play in Rover instead of doing some of the bike trails. The girlfriend loved it and so did the dog. Rover just ate all the sand on the truck trails, had no prob with the mud, I was humming up some pretty sweet inclines and never even touched 2k on the tac and the temp gauge didn't flicker past normal. I'm running stock suspension and tires are Michelin 4x4 235/70/16's at about 40lbs pressure, so I was pretty supprised I didnt get any slip or spin in the loose sand or even taking some puddles and one decent bowl that was filled w 14-18 inches if water. Dist. didnt get wet so no probs w that. In all we did atleast 2-300 miles of dirt road/truck trail. Huron Nat'l Forest, and some other Nat'l and State forests and parks in that area around West Branch and Oscoda, and up north of that was the main area we drove around in but we took a trip up to Traverse City and Sleeping Bear Dunes. I didnt take Rover on the dunes this trip since we ran out of day light after we did the Dune Climb footpath. Its worth the hike, but take like atleast 4-5 hours to do it. lots of uphill and prolly heart attack inducing climbs if your not in shape. Pm me and I can point you towars some of the better drives.

I know I want a 3" lift and some bigger tires so I can hit some of the nastier looking trails up there, skid plates and a trans case skid plate, and some other offroad goodies. I did find a good place to get some random hardware like tow hooks/straps and other random project stuff that I spent too much money on. If you go up towards West branch MI, pm me and I'll let you know where to go.

In all I put 1389 miles on Rover going all over Michigan's woods and farmland with NO probs with Rover. I was super happy with the truck and the way it handled both 80 mph (I was looking around and have big heavy feet, I slowed down lol). I drove past 4 other Discos (its like a cult my girlfriend says lol) and one dude did a U turn and came back to talk w me at Oscoda beach. It was a kick *** trip and Rover was like a tank. Rovers Rock -Zeus

Attached Thumbnails Trip Report-1389 miles...-008.jpg   Trip Report-1389 miles...-305.jpg   Trip Report-1389 miles...-208.jpg   Trip Report-1389 miles...-163.jpg   Trip Report-1389 miles...-086.jpg  

Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! I felt the same way about my rover. Paid only $700 for her. Then proceeded to fix all the crap that was neglected over the years. Technically still doing so. But man is she fun! Nice trip report!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome

Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Too bad you're in OH, we are going to ******* in a couple of weeks for a long weekend of wheeling, canoeing and swimming.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, that's a happy dog.

luck,greg