Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

trouble starting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default trouble starting.

My truck won't start. Lent it to a buddy last night, the alarm was armed, he unlocked it with the key and not the fob (shouldn't be an issue) and tried to start it but it won't turn over. When you crank it you get power and one click. Nothing else. The alarm dashlight also freaks out, blinking really fast. I replaced the starter in Nov so I'm hopeful its not the starter. Went out this morning cleaned my terminals thoroughly. Cleaned the ground point to the frame and it still won't start. Tried jumping it, same story. Power, and one click. I haven't had time to check the starter solenoid ground but I'm about out of ideas and of course my landrover dealer service dept isn't open on Saturday. You guys have any thoughts? I need this truck to work. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you tried lock/unlock several times with fob?

the dashlight blinking fast leads me to believe it's the alarm not liking you locking with fob and unlocking with key.

luck,greg

Old 07-17-2010, 02:55 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The starter disable part of the alarm has been tripped. Lock/unlock the door 3 times with the key and it should clear.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm at work now but getting out in an hour. I'm thrilled at the possibility of this being an easy fix. I'll let you guys know asap. Thanks.

I didnt see any literature in the manual about that. Youd think they'd mention it.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i tried the lock unlock method 3 times with the fob from the outside, no luck. Way more than three times from the outside, no luck. Tried it locking/unlocking via the key in the door, no luck. Tried turning it to accessory and leaving it for 30 seconds then turning off again and starting, no luck. Any other ideas? I'm 95% sure its the alarm, the click when i turn it over really sounds like an alarm kill on the starter.
I need help. thanks guys

Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe your buddy left something out, did you try resetting the inertia cutout ("I forgot to tell you I was jumping cars with it") switch pass side under hood on firewall black button?

Just a thought.

Luck,greg

Old 07-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have to have the key in the ignition turned to #2 position and lock unlock 3 times with the fob.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

tried the inertia switch, no luck. Tried the ignition in position #2 lock/unlock but it doesnt work (fob wont lock or unlock) in position two, tried it in position #1 and the three unlocks didnt work. Now, i'm starting to think maybe its not an alarm issue, maybe its the starter solenoid. I replaced the starter 12/09 but it was an advanced auto parts refurb unit. It has a lifetime warranty so im thinking i may have to pull the starter tomorrow and take it to them to bench test it. My area landrover dealer wont be open till monday for service inquiries so i guess i'll just try this.

Sound like the next plan of action?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sthe truck fully in park?

Im runnin out of ideas

Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Did you try jump start the starter motor?

Quick Reply: trouble starting.