Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Turbo leak vs Rings/Piston leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, makes since. Limited damage vs destroyed engine. Why would anyone choose limited damage?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I had never seen those before Tom, nice idea, like a Murphy's Safety Switch on a stationary engine or farm tractor thats used unmonitored.
Better to have repairable damage than a total loss.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Spike555
I had never seen those before Tom, nice idea, like a Murphy's Safety Switch on a stationary engine or farm tractor thats used unmonitored.
Those wouldn't do any good on a runaway diesel. The only way to stop a runaway is to block the air intake, or stall it. Stalling attempts don't always work (and of course wouldn't on an automatic). People have put their runaways against an immovable object and the wheels just spun until the engine self destructed.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the turbo and it worked flawlesslu for three days 200km and suddenly it is smoking like crazy again. I checked the valve stem seals and didn't have a clue what to look for. I want to take it to a mechanic but I know I will be told I need new engine.
Can it be a piston or rings problem and I'm just wasting time,money and energy.
When it started smoking this time I opened the hood and there was whistling sound from the oil cap and looked like pressure built up.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

It could be the rings are stuck or bad.
How many miles on the engine?
Has it been well maintained?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Overlanding

It's got 220000Km and is well maintained.

How do worn rings produce this kind of problem. The oil goes past the rings and ends up where? How does it end up at the Turbo and the intake manifold? I removed the hose off the cyclone.
Also when I take the pipe that goes to the intercooler off the turbo the smoke stops and I see oil dripping out of the turbo. Is this just a case of a bad turbo or can the oil be coming out of somewhere else and getting to the turbo?

Old 08-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

The oil in the crankcase gets sucked past the piston rings into the combustion chambers and gets burned causing blue smoke out of the tailpipe.
If it were a ring problem that would be the end of it, no oil anywhere else.

Air comes into the turbo, then to the intercooler and then into the engine, the turbo pressurizes the air and forces more air into the engine than the engine needs thus increasing power and efficiency.

The turbo is spun by the engines exhaust, there is a turbine on the exhaust side, a bearing, then another turbine on the intake side and a oil supply and return for the turbo bearing.

If you are getting oil in the intake turbine, intercooler, or engine intake manifold then you have a oil leak inside the turbo.

There is a weep hole on the bottom of the intercooler to let oil drain out, some oil seeping into the intake through the turbo is normal and that is why the weep hole is there, but an excessive amount means a serious problem and needs to be addressed ASAP.

Last edited by Spike555; 08-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Overlanding

Thanks Spike. Great explanation and it certainly puts my mind at ease to understand how things work and what the causes are.
I returned the turbo to the shop to day and will know for sure it it the culprit.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

PLEASE let us know how it turns out so that we can better help others who have a similar problem.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Baja

I clogged turbo oil return line will cause oil to be forced in to the compressor side of the turbo and so in to the engine.
The return line must not have tight bends, if it's flexible, and must not be restricted (clogged) regardless of the type of line.

Quick Reply: Turbo leak vs Rings/Piston leak