Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Typical Oil Burn

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical Oil Burn

Hello All

This has probably been discussed already, but what would be a typical amount of oil that a disco with 180K on it, burn? I have am using the Rotella oil and change my oil every 5K Lately I have noticed that I am burning or losing about 1 quart of oil between oil changes. Is that normal?

I am also noticing that the heads have some nice seepage going on. I called a local shop and they said it was normal and to join the club. But with 180K on the engine it would be a good idea to have the heads gaskets replaced and put on reman heads. I could do it myself but it seems like a lot of work, drain oil, drain coolant, pull everything off, send heads in to be rebuilt and then reassemble everything. Local shop said they do all that and will replace radiator hoses for a whopping 1900.00.

My problem is finding a good head shop in portland area that would be able to reman my old heads. Heck it has 180K and they have to come off might as well do a complete top end job right.

but the oil burn/leaking is a quart every 5K normal, I am assuming it is.

thanks
ed

Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes the 1qt every 5,000 miles is fine.
All engines that burn less than 1qt every 1,000 miles are considered healthy.
As for the head gaskets, $1900 for everything they told you is a good price I think.
However I would leave well enough alone.
Wait until they blow and start leaking coolant, in other words if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And for reference - Mercedes normal oil consumption is rated at 1 liter per 1000 kilometers - about 620 miles! Right out of the shop manual for my W124 300TE. And that's with 20W50. On the Disco side of the garage, oil leak is more likely.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes the 1qt every 5,000 miles is fine.
All engines that burn less than 1qt every 1,000 miles are considered healthy.
As for the head gaskets, $1900 for everything they told you is a good price I think.
However I would leave well enough alone.
Wait until they blow and start leaking coolant, in other words if it ain't broke dont fix it.
Love it, thanks for the reference Spike. I'm not burning any oil. Turns out my top end, TBI and many other issues were already taken care of at the dealer before I bought it.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

With your mileage, you have no oil consumption with 1 quart every 5000 miles so the rings are fine.
Plan on head gaskets, head work, a new fuel pump. a radiator clean out, new oil pump kit and timing chain/gear set along with a possible cam and lifters. All that list is common at your mileage.
Any questions, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Winching

And remember, cams and lifters always as a set. Don't go cheap and just do lifters, or you will be right back where you started in a few thousand miles. Look at the cam lobes and see if they are a uniform color all the way across, or do they look two tone? If so the cam is wearing uneven and its time to replace it. You can usually tell a cam that is at the end of its life span. Anyway, I see a lot of people, even mechanics, who will toss a set of new lifters on a shot cam thinking it will cure a tick or a lifters that is bleeding down etc... and sometimes it does short term. The cam will wipe those new lifters out in no time though. My two cents.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Mudding

I think I will wait like Spike said. If it isn't broke don't fix it. But I do want to drop the oil pan and change the pan gasket. It looks old, gunky and leaks pretty bad. But I am afraid that by sealing up the bottom half the leaks from the head will get worse. I do not know.

But thanks Photocrimes, I will keep that in mind, as I will probably end up doing all the work myself, when the time comes. But if anyone has any good suggestions on how to drain the coolant without making a huge mess I would love to hear them.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Winching

I put one of those big flat drain pan funnels you use for draining trannys under the lower hose and pulled it off. Very little mess.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Mudding

ok well I took my Disco for a 390 mile drive over the weekend. I drove down to see family and the oil was full when I left my house and when I got to my Aunt's house I was 1/2 a quart low. To me that is a bit much for leak/burning isn't? I have not checked the oil since I got home, which would be another 390 miles.

I figured I would as so that I could either plan to do a HG job or do as Spike says and leave it until it breaks completely.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Fill it when it is cold and only check it when it is cold so all the oil has drained back into the pan.

Quick Reply: Typical Oil Burn