Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Uneven suspension? Alighnment and tires.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Uneven suspension? Alighnment and tires.

I hesitate to even ask- but I Recently took note how the rear passenger side of my Disco is noticeably lower the the rear drivers side. Any ideas why or what I'm dealing with? My concern is that perhaps the lift was installed incorrectly or that a critical part of my suspension is broken.

I'm fixing to get a full alignment done in afew weeks, with this said might the uneven height of my disco make getting an alignment now pointless? Should I fix whatever the issue is with the height, THAN get the alignment or does it really matter at all?

I'll take afew pictures today when I get out of work, of the rear and attach them in this thread.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes fix the suspension first, if you need to take things apart you run the risk of messing up the alignment.
I would normally say its a broken spring, but you have a brand new lift so it must have been installed wrong.
The springs are what hold up the truck, the rest of the suspension is just for driver comfort and control.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Banned

Are the springs the ONLY factor for which would cause this unevenness? I was always wondering if it could have anything to do with my rusted diff high low shifter - its stuck in the lower right position.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

The only things that effect height are tires (same size and inflation needed), springs and weight in the car.
If you have 500lbs of bricks in the back it will sit lower than the front.
If you have a tire that is under inflated it will sit lower on that corner.
If you have a broken spring or a upside down spring it will sit lower on that corner.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Well there is no cargo in my disco, and the rear tires are evenly inflated and I'm pretty sure the spring is not broken (assuming a crack or other physical damage would be visable) but I guess the spring could be upside down. I'll take pictures of the springs as well.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Sometimes a broken spring isn't that noticeable unless you know what to look for. They can crack under that nice shiny plastic coating, an you won't see the cracks, especially if the springs are dirty. compare them side to side and see if any of the wraps in the coils are closer together on one side versus the other. On my D1, one of the rear springs broke, and you could tell because at the bottom of the coil on one side of the truck they wraps were almost touching each other. Then when I wiped off some dirt I could see the broken spot.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned

Hmm ill wipe both springs clean then inspect them then snap some pics. Well in a worse case scenario if the spring is broke ( either the previous owner was to rough with the rig or these springs are cheap quality junk!) How do I go about the repair? Just buy 1 replacement spring? Or are springs like tires: when you replace one you have to replace the the spring as well?

Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

that depends on the age probably. Springs to sag over time, so if they are older, you would want to replace them in pairs. If they are pretty new, you could probably get away with just replacing a broken one.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Keep in mind that the springs have a corner that is assigned to them.
There is a specific left front, left rear, right front and right rear spring, if they were installed in the wrong spot the truck will not sit level.
And just looking at the tires will not tell you what PSI they are at.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

In the event that I need new rear springs... What brand would be best? I'm not sure what brand the currently installed springs are either so I hope that will not create an issue.

Quick Reply: Uneven suspension? Alighnment and tires.