Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Using the 4wd function

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:41 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using the 4wd function

Hi all, i've been a landrover discovery II 2004 user for about 2 years now, but never felt the need for the 4wd, but recently i did and i didnt know how to use it, since im in the middle east its needed some times, can some 1 please show me/describe how its used properly?

Thanks,
Regards - Ather

Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your truck has permanent 4 wheel drive, you have used it every day that you drove it.
Are you talking about the Hi/Lo range shifter or CDL or the transmission mode button?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have your owners manual, it is spelled out in detail. If not, you always drive in Hi range unless you are off road and need the lower gearing. For extra traction, shift the tranny to "N" then shift your t/case to either Hi, or Lo lock which will give you a lot more traction. Do not drive in the locked position on hard cement or ashault roads.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry guys, its 1994 not 2004

Do you have your owners manual
Sorry, no manual

also one more thing, i see a small accelerator on the left-most below, is that used to drive when in 4wd mode or we accelerate using the regular pedal?

so let me get this, i put the automatic gear in N, move the small one to "Lo" and then drive?

sorry but im a total noob when it comes to cars ;o

Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ather90
sorry guys, its 1994 not 2004

Sorry, no manual

also one more thing, i see a small accelerator on the left-most below, is that used to drive when in 4wd mode or we accelerate using the regular pedal?

so let me get this, i put the automatic gear in N, move the small one to "Lo" and then drive?

sorry but im a total noob when it comes to cars ;o
Your Land Rover is in 4WD all of the time.

I think the "small accelerator on the left-most below" you are referring to is the volume adjust for your radio....sorry, not a throttle button.

If you are going to be off road : Put the automatic gearbox in N, shift the small transfer case gear box lever to "LO", then shift back into D, then you can drive. If you leave either in "N" you will not move.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That small pedal on the floor is called a dead pedal, it is just a foot rest thats all, if you actually look at it it does nothing.

Practice this in your driveway or a parking lot.
With the engine running shift the transmission into "N" (neutral)
Then move the transfer case shifter forward, this is lo range.
Put the transmission back into "D" (drive) and move a few feet.
Stop and shift back into "N".
Now move the transfer case shifter to the left, this is lo-lock.
Put the transmission back into "D", move forward a few feet in a straight line.
Shift the transmission back into "N" and move the transfer case shifter back.
That is hi-lock, shift back into "D" and move forward yet a few more feet.
Shift the transmission back into "N" and then move the transfer case shifter to the right, that is hi for normal driving.
That is how you shift the transfer case through all of its gears.
Back and to the right is hi range for normal driving.
Forward and to the right is lo range for dry roads but you need more power, like to pull a boat up a steep boat ramp or to pull a loaded hay wagon across a field.
In lo range top speed will be 35mph.
Forward and to the left is lo-locked, meaning lo range but both prop shafts are locked together and no matter what they will spin at the same speed.
This is for off roading where maximum power and traction is needed.
Back and to the left is hi-locked, same as lo-locked only hi range, this is for driving faster than 35mph in sand or snow.

Practice using the transfer case shifter and exercise it once a month to keep it in good working order.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think he may be referring to the cruise control button (as this is the only other thing I can think of that will cause acceleration!) although mine is on the bottom right I think, but anyways, just my 2 cents.

Oh PS. keep in mind guys he may have a RHD disco if he lives in the middle east, not sure if that makes any of the controls backwards though in reference to the CDL or the buttons or pedals or anything (I have never been in a RHD vehicle before)

Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover Chris

Oh PS. keep in mind guys he may have a RHD disco if he lives in the middle east, not sure if that makes any of the controls backwards though in reference to the CDL or the buttons or pedals or anything (I have never been in a RHD vehicle before)
Thats why I try and always say things like "back and to the left" instead of "back and toward the driver" because we dont know where they live.
In the Middle East though they drive on the right side of the road just like us.
And the controls for the t-case and stuff is the same, even for a manual transmission the shift pattern is the same.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Even is a RHD the pedals are the same. Accelerator on the right, clutch on the left if it's a manual and brake in the middle.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spike, you say put it in neutral when shifting side to side (Lock and Unlock) which we know is not necessary on a proper functioning Discovery I. Neutral is only required if shifting ranges (High to Low, Low to High).

It may be good practice for some C+++ geeks, but us average D- rednecks know it ain't so. Should lock and unlock regardless as long as wheels are not slipping.

Just think if he was a n A++ guy................

Quick Reply: Using the 4wd function