Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Vacuum port on throttle body...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012 | 10:37 AM
|
TReK

So if it is loose, and letting outside air in, it can throw off the MAF reading....probably not by much, unless you have a dirty air filter.

Old 03-27-2012 | 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Well you're right on the money, un-metered air is un-metered air, no matter from loose hose, cracked MAF hose, gasket leak, etc. Won't take much. Guess they figure under normal connections air thru that hose = air back through oil separator and it balances out. At WOT the O2s are in open loop anyway, so it won't matter then.

Old 03-27-2012 | 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
Danny, FWIW....I too had sporadic, but persistant P1316....and occassionally I also had a "poor purge valve performance" code. In an earlier post regarding EricTyrell's troubles, I had decided that (in my case anyway) much of this was related to the evap system, I had read to smack the purge valve and it might reseat, that wasnt the prob, I replaced the purge valve with a newer one...that didnt fix it either. long story short.......I capped off the vac port where the purge valve connects to the throttle body .......that ended the misfire code. I then would get a "gross evap leak "code...I determined that the purge valve was on (open) as soon as the ignition key was turned on and never went off untill I turned the truck off....This created a constant vac leak with everthing hooked up normal, and a constant evap leak with the tb port capped off......I then capped off the purge valve .........no more codes. AND ,YES this would lead you to think that there is a leak in the evap system between the canister and fuel tank.....but I tore it all apart a couple of times and couldnt find any leak....even replaced the gas cap with a new oem one,
It is my understanding that the purge valve shouldnt be "on " ALL the time...mine IS.
just something for you to consider while tracing out your issue
Sounds like I should try capping off the purge valve, right?

Just went down and looked at it, there is one line from tank to purge Valve, the other from Purge valve to front port on TB. Did you cap one or both?

What happens if connector is unplugged from Purge Valve,? I do remember getting purge valve codes long ago. Not really up on that aspect of the system.

I just want to keep mine as simple as possible and still be able to pass PA inspection (Allegheny County).

All input is sincerely appreciated. All this activity is getting me pretty active again.

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:11 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
All input is sincerely appreciated.
Eat good ice cream.

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Sounds like I should try capping off the purge valve, right?

Just went down and looked at it, there is one line from tank to purge Valve, the other from Purge valve to front port on TB. Did you cap one or both?

What happens if connector is unplugged from Purge Valve,? I do remember getting purge valve codes long ago. Not really up on that aspect of the system.

I just want to keep mine as simple as possible and still be able to pass PA inspection (Allegheny County).

All input is sincerely appreciated. All this activity is getting me pretty active again.
I capped the port on the throt body, and capped the port on the purge valve where the line would go that goes to the throttle body . I chased this thing for months and this was the only way I came up with to keep the "light" off. I figured having an instant and constant vac leak could not be good...I can't yet explain why the purge valve is open all the time the truck is running, It's my understanding that it should only be open at specified engine operating conditions . good luck !

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Eat good ice cream.
not the low fat crap...

Old 03-27-2012 | 12:29 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
not the low fat crap...
Definitely. I like Vanilla and then add all the toppings I want, or make a banana split.

I may have to look at my purge valve. Maybe it has something to do with my intermittent high idle and random stalls at idle.

Old 03-27-2012 | 02:46 PM

I found a little Ice Cream Maker in the storage room in the basement. It is a table top electric with a recipe book. I like good Sorbet, especially Strawberry.

We used to make fresh Peach Ice Cream with a hand cranked Ice Cream maker when I was growing up in The Peach State.

Old 03-27-2012 | 02:53 PM

I think I may try removing that hose from cannister to TB and capping both ends and see what happens. I am tired of chasing P1316.

After puttin MMO in the gas tank, it seems to be blowing more black soot out and a little bit clear water droplets. I know the mffer is all carboned up. I want to take it out and run the hell out of it for a couple of hours.

I got a offer in the mail to come over to the Yamaha Dealer and test drive a new Victory Star 900 Cruiser and get a free pair of Oakley's sunglasses valued at $100.

It's been about 30 years since I rode, but I put almost 40,000 miles on that Yamaha 500. That will give me a good hour or so cruise to get there and be out in the mountains east of Pittsburgh. Then I could roam around the foothills a bit.

Old 04-03-2012 | 01:19 PM
|
TReK

Rather than start another new thread, and since it is mostly on topic and my thread to begin with...I will be doing the head gaskets and related gaskets after I get the 300D(I can drive the 300D while I do some work to the D1). I like AB, but have not dealt with the other parts suppliers. My plan was to buy the gaskets and what not from AB unless there is a reason to use someone else. Any opinions on who to use instead and why?

Quick Reply: Vacuum port on throttle body...