Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Valley pan gasket R&R

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010 | 02:24 PM
|
Baja
Default Valley pan gasket R&R

Guys,

Can someone point me in the right direction for instructions on replace of the valley pan gasket. I can't seem to find anything on it. What section in the RAVE covers it?

Does anyone have any detailed info on it? A been there done that/ don't do this type of write-up would help immensely.

Old 10-24-2010 | 03:37 PM
Winching

I don't think there is a special place for the valley pan gasket (I just searched and I didn't find it) I would simply go in the workshop manual Engine section V8i check for cylinder heads gaskets. Then it will tell you where to check in the manual for disassembly and you stop at the valley pan gasket.

Old 10-24-2010 | 04:04 PM
Administrator

Rave CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a free down load link in my signature section.

Old 10-27-2010 | 03:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Rave CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a free down load link in my signature section.
He has the RAVE, he can't find the instructions in the RAVE!

I also think you can find the instructions with the head gasket procedure.

Old 10-27-2010 | 08:51 PM
|
Baja

I am just trying to get a thorough understanding of what is involved in the process before I get started with it and find out I need something else or whatever.

I did some web searches and found nothing. I did searches on the RAVE and found nothing, I was HOPING someone who had done it or was knowledgeable on it would point me in right direction.

Are there some good drawings that show it?

Anyone got any pics of the teardown?

I reviewed various sections of the RAVE, guess I have not found it yet. When I did a text search of the RAVE for the term Valley Pan Gasket, it found nothing. Guess the terminology may vary?

Oh today I was checking the oil level and noticed that when I first tried to loosen the oil filler cap, the neck below the cap turned prior to the cap turning, it moved about a half turn then suddenly was tight again, then the cap unscrewed. I was wondering if this may have been part of my oil leak.

I have been looking for a 1/4 inch drive 12 point 8mm deep well socket to no avail. I went to NAPA today and ordered one, but the best they could do was a 3/8 drive deep well 12 point 8mm.

Guess I may have to grind it down a little to get it to fit the valve cover bolts. I was thinking of trying to get new 6 point bolts for reassembly.

Old 10-28-2010 | 07:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Valley Pan Gasket

Danny, I did my valley pan gasket not too long ago. There is some info in Alldata for that job, but it's not that difficult. The fuel rail stays attached to the intake mani, you need to remove the feed and return - there may be some pressure on the feed. You don't need to remove the injector connectors either, but you might want to spray some electrical cleaner on them anyway while you have all the other connectors off for the MAF and stepper motor, etc. You need to drain some coolant - I took the plug out of the top of the radiator and siphoned out a gallon or so, it's a lot easier than pulling the lower radiator hose. The coolant hoses that go to the throttle body are a pain. I took the upper plenum (along with the two throttle cable connectors first) loose and then was able to get to the water hoses that go to the underneath of the throttle body. Which ever end is easier for each - I mean I took one off the throttle body and one off the radiator - you'll see what I mean - same with the heater hoses. The injector harness is a real PITA, and there are 2 bolts, 8 mm I think, that hold it down on each side of the intake. It's just brittle and in the way, it sometimes helps to wire it up out of the way. Once you get everything off cleaned up just make sure you get the end seals on right and put a dab of RTV on each corner where the intake mani meets the heads. That's what it says in Alldata and it worked for me. A 1/4 inch drive and some small metric sockets help. A 5/16 will work for 8mm.

Old 10-28-2010 | 07:29 AM
Baja

Intake manifold
Service Repair no - 30.15.08

You can order a 1/4" drive 12pt 8mm from sears. Deep, or shallow and use a 1/4" drive extension.

Follow the rave and it helps to maybe take some photos for bits you might not remember how they go back. Masking tape to label hoses.

I've had to remove the valve covers in the past to refit the intake.

Don't pull the fuel rail off the injectors, remove it all together. I removed the rail and had to get a new one because rust in the cups wouldn't let them seal again.

Old 10-28-2010 | 08:29 AM
Winching
Default ALLdata????

Really not trying to hijack this thread, BUT is All data as good as or better than RAVE DiscoJag???

Anyone else used it and prefer it over Rave?

Old 10-28-2010 | 08:37 AM
Baja

The Factory manual covers it all.

Old 10-28-2010 | 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Talking

I wouldn't say Alldata is better than Rave. In fact, Alldata says my car has a distributor - but it sure don't. I use it because I have a subscription for my other car and it's not much to add another and I can't always find my Rave disc. You can't have TMI in these things.

Quick Reply: Valley pan gasket R&R