Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Vibration After Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here is the million dollar question. For all the people who installed a lift on their rig, did you remove the rear anti-sway bar / anti-roll bar? Mine is still installed and it occurred to me that the anti-roll bar could be the cause of the axle not rotating to the right degree and consequently what is causing the vibration in the driveline

Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both the front and reaer removed on mine, but I doubt that would cause enough of a bind being on there to cause a vibration.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Long Haul
I have both the front and reaer removed on mine, but I doubt that would cause enough of a bind being on there to cause a vibration.
Yeah you were correct Long Haul, removing the sway bar did not do anything. I did notice the vibration noise did seem to resonate more through out the rig once it was removed. I also gave the A arm nuts one complete turn and that did seem to help some, well a little bit. The vibration only seemed to happen between now between 40-45 and again 55 or so.

I do not think I can tighten the A arms anymore so I will have to end up buying the 3 degree adjustment parts.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If its the front giving you the problem Lucky8 sells offset bushings imstead of replacing the whole arm. http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2376 I have never used them but its a lot cheaper then cranked arms.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Old man emu makes a very similar part, calr2, only it looks slightly better constructed. They, however, say not to use it on automatic transmission vehicles because it can cause vibration... not really sure of the how or why.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Mudding
Default pictures of angles

Ok I need help determining what I need to do to fix my vibration. I have attached a bunch of pictures.

IMAG0208 is attached to differential the flat spot on bottom (up close)
IMAG0210 is a wider view of differential and dial guide
IMAG0214 is wide angle of dial on drive line
IMAG0215 is close up of dial on drive line
IMAG0216 is close up of dial attached to e-brake just under drive line (up close)

Attached Thumbnails Vibration After Lift-imag0208.jpg   Vibration After Lift-imag0210.jpg   Vibration After Lift-imag0214.jpg   Vibration After Lift-imag0216.jpg   Vibration After Lift-imag0215.jpg  

Last edited by errose2002; 03-17-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: adding information on pictures
Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Those angles dont look to bad. Im starting to wonder if you have a driveshaft out of balance. Did the vibration clear up with either of the driveshafts out?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Mudding

Yeah I only pulled the rear drive line and when I did the vibration did stop. But it was really hard to tell cause roads are sort of bumpy around here. But the major vibration that I felt with the rear drive line installed was gone.

So I would venture a guess that the rear drive line was on the verge of being out of balance before the lift and after the lift the driveline was pushed out of tolerance. I have an appointment to get the drive line rebalanced next week. I do not know if the drive line is still going to be able to be fixed, since I do not know much about the pervious owner.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I just thought of this..... Are your Ujoints lined up on your rear shaft?
Are the caps lined up front to back not 45* out. Thatll cause mild vibrations if thats not clocked correctly.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Mudding

Hello Again

I took the rear drive line off and took it in for rebalancing. The shop said it was way off but it is true again. I drove around with the front drive line off and the vibration was worse after rebalance then before.

So I took the rig down to a suspension shop and the guy went for a ride with me. He noticed that the vibration started at about 35 to 40 something and then stopped. Then it started again around 47 to about 50 something.

He said that it looked like it was a pinion gear issue and not a pinion angle issue. He stated that the angles all looked good but when shifting between reverse and drive there was a ton of play in the pinion gear. He went on to say that the pinion gear could cause any and all sorts of harmonic issues in the drive train.

So the question is how likely is the pinion gear causing the issue? How hard is it to repair/replace the pinion gear?

Thanks
ed

Quick Reply: Vibration After Lift