Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The Wanderer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Wanderer

Our local Disco Club had a garage day and we knocked out 3 complete suspension jobs and a "Tune Up" inside of 16 hours

On the way home, I was please with my ride on new Terra Firma HD springs and OME Shocks. Very nice ride.

However....... I still have sterring issues.

I was suspect od the vague steering and was hoping that my 15 y/o shocks and springs were the cause of most of it. I would get a "floating" sensation at high speeds. Now the the suspension is firmed up, I no longer that that "floating" feeling, but it is more like I am wandering all over the road (probably exaggerating).

I find myself doing a lot of sterring corrections, especially in wide sweeping turns or going flat out at 70 mph. With the car jacked up, the ball joints seem solid.

I have not really done a thorough chassis inspection, but on first impressions, I am thinking that it needs a steering box. Should there be other parts prone to failure that I should look for?

fyi - IIRC, there is now steering damper on the truck. But I cant see how that matters in this case....

Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Steering damper makes no change, except when you hit a big rock on the trail, and the damper takes the lick instead of breaking your thumbs. Sounds like a worn steering box, there is an adjustment that is on the attached page from the RAVE. It may improve things while you decide on rebuild or replace.

Seems like the club photos of wrench party would look good posted here....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 steering box adjust.pdf (908.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Rock Crawling

D.Blanco, have you tried a good aligment bench? it should point out what's wrong other than the steering box.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Rock Crawling

Have not done an alignment yet, but I am sure it needs one. I was waiting for the new suspension and altered ride height before spending the money on it.... It seems that time is now!

Savanah, thanks for the writeup. I did not know that procedure exists.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about worn out suspension bushings?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Seems like the club photos of wrench party would look good posted here....
Since you asked.....
Name:  IMAG0773.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0774.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0771.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0780.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  65.4 KB

Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
What about worn out suspension bushings?
I wonder that. IDK how this suspension works exactly.

I replaced the upper sway bar bushings and I have new(er) shocks with new bushings.

I am going to try the steering box trick that savanah suggested.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Research "Death WOBBLE". I have seen writeups on here and other LR sites concerning how worn out suspension bushings result in the vehicle shifting around on the worn bushings as it travels down the road.

The more worn the bushings are the more slop there is for the vehcile to shift around on the suspension. It is merely oscillating around it's mounting points. It will shift more the more wear that exist.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Rock Crawling

The steering box trick worked a little bit. It did stop some of the wandering but mostly just tightened up the steering over all. But there was a few degrees of slop in the steering wheel.

You will need a socket wrench with an 18" extension, 19mm deep socket, 19mm open end wrench, and a T30 torx bit.

I did not think of the death wobble syndrome since I am really not experiencing that, but it makes sense that I should probably just replace every bushing and end link on the truck. It seems as though I will never find the "Holy Grail" of problems that will solve everything. But it does seem that every part I change makes a noticeable, but slight improvement.

Bushings make sense since sometimes I notice that the rear end "kicks out" when I make sharp right hand turns. The suspension is probably shifting around back there.

Now on to the next decision.... Standard rubber? Or Poly?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny how Have no steering on My Disco I ??? is the thread right below this and that guys steering went bonkers turning a corner in town.

Great pack of Discos. And super cool that you guys got together and did that work.