Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

War on Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Been on lots of trips and never broke down. Still have the codes though. 98% of the time the CEL start flashing and the codes pop only within the first 5 minutes of driving it cold. Rarely and randomly the CEL starts flashing, no apparent problems otherwise, and then stops. Ghost in the machine..

Otherwise it runs great except for an occasional slightly weak idle (never stalled though), and poor throttle response/hesitation until warmed up. Once warmed up it purrs great.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that update.

so the mystery remains!

i have an unsolved mystery of my own. 1997 p38 4.0. has always run well, been maintained well. i took it from california to manitoba one winter. in anything lower than about 20 degrees F the car would not start. turned over fine, but would not start. i had a good block heater installed. as long as i plugged the car in and got the motor warm, it started normally. and once started, all was well.

i was never able to determine the cause. my rover mechanic (in california) was never able to reproduce the conditions to troubleshoot it.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench

Update:

New ECU. No difference.

Fixed bad coil pack connector. No difference.

The mystery continues.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I noted while reading this thread. You've said the Idle air temperature sensor reads correctly, but also that you have the problem when cold and the throttle response when cold is a bit off.

Although I didn't see it, I assume you've cleaned the mass airflow sensor.

Have you tried substituting it? If the air is lean, you'll get misfires. The IAT and MAF work together to measure airflow. If the IAT is correct but the MAF is not, you could be getting lean mixtures when cold, causing misfires. In fact, your hesitation is probably misfires.

Last edited by gprtech; 02-27-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default P1313 P1314 fix ever found?

Originally Posted by gprtech
One thing I noted while reading this thread. You've said the Idle air temperature sensor reads correctly, but also that you have the problem when cold and the throttle response when cold is a bit off.

Although I didn't see it, I assume you've cleaned the mass airflow sensor.

Have you tried substituting it? If the air is lean, you'll get misfires. The IAT and MAF work together to measure airflow. If the IAT is correct but the MAF is not, you could be getting lean mixtures when cold, causing misfires. In fact, your hesitation is probably misfires.
Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Update:

New ECU. No difference.

Fixed bad coil pack connector. No difference.

The mystery continues.
I was reading this 18 page thread in the archives in great anticipation hoping to find a solution to my own 98 D1's P1314 and P1313 codes flashing the CEL, and in the end it was like reading a mystery novel with the last page torn out.

Eric - did you ever solve the 1313 & 1314 mystery? I still have cats on my 98 and don't feel or hear any misfires when the CEL starts flashing and, same as you, it usually happens with a cold engine in the first mile or sometimes the first 100 feet of driving with the rear O2 sensors both reading .015 volts and the fronts reading .970 to .990 volts on my UltraGage. It had new Champion plugs and new wires 200 miles ago, a recently cleaned MAF and intake tract, and a new K&N air filter. No vacuum leaks found spraying starter fluid around the intake plenum, oil separator cleaned, and fuel pressure 31 PSI at idle from an external in-line fuel pump (not my doing - the truck came that way). Otherwise the Disco seems to start and run fine and it is driving me crazy to keep getting these two codes and no others.

Anyone?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

i had a fuel code i could not get rid of 1079 or 1179? whichever, replaced the ecu, been fine since then no codes

though i too am curious if this was ever resolved

Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

I had this happen this morning hicups then i checked and there were codes
p0300
p0306
p1314
p1313

cleared and did not come back

i know i can hear an occaional miss at idle in the exhaust engine is totaly smooth though, this issue is carry over from before the rebuild so obvious electrical or sensor issue

the other wierd thing is i went for a 45 minute drive few days back and all of a sudden the vehicle had insane power like i expected my rebuild to produce so there is a definit issue

Last edited by TOM R; 06-10-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
I had this happen this morning hicups then i checked and there were codes
p0300
p0306
p1314
p1313

cleared and did not come back

i know i can hear an occaional miss at idle in the exhaust engine is totaly smooth though, this issue is carry over from before the rebuild so obvious electrical or sensor issue

the other wierd thing is i went for a 45 minute drive few days back and all of a sudden the vehicle had insane power like i expected my rebuild to produce so there is a definit issue
I sent Eric a PM asking if he ever found the cause.

Did you see any changes in any sensors or functions when you suddenly had more power? That Is odd if it was just momentary.

I don't feel or hear any misfires when I get the codes, although I do have a constant tick once the engine is warm that might be a lifter problem. My downstream O2 sensors both run between .015 and .020 before and after the CEL starts flashing.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

NOT THAT I NOTICED, and these codes have not returned

i may try adaptive values reset this weekend see if that helps any

Old 06-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Sorry guys, never fixed the issue, though I still occasionally hunt for a solution.

Things to note:

When starting cold, truck is in open loop according to ultra-gauge, and runs rough. Then a short bit later it goes into closed loop and short-term fuel trim rises from 0 to about 10-15 where the engine smooths out.

Long term fuel trim is 0

Compression is a bit low on some cylinders. I screwed up and ran synthetic oil during break-in after the rebuild.

I bypassed and removed the AEL system.

It acts like there's an air leak post-MAF but I doubt there is unless there's an issue with with the IACV. I've tried several IACVs though.

Good luck. Maybe we'll find something in common.

Quick Reply: War on Misfires