Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Water in cabin then Disco dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in cabin then Disco dead

Need advice on what to do after water intrussion to my Discovery I 1996 but only half way to the right side of the car. After I got stuck inmediately truck went dead and alarm the alarm set on. Dry everything the next day dry out computer, now everyting works but no starting, check engine light doesn't light up. Anyone has gone through this? What should I do? I have no spark.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Man these are always so hard to do over the net, does the starter work at all?
Have you removed the multi function relay from under the hood and tried to dry it out or swap with a known working one?
Have you removed the spark plugs to make sure there is no water in the cylinders?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since the alarm went off, I would bet the problem is associated with that. When the alarm is tripped, it kills both the fuel pump and the spark does it not?

There is info about how to determiune the alarm status based upon how rapidly the light flashes on the alarm indicator, I do not remember all of it, so I will not attempt to guess at it but that would be the first thing I would be checking out.

Maybe Sava Buzz can help you figure it out.

For a quick check, pull a plug wire and hook up a spare spark plug, lay it on the block and see if it sparks when you turn the key. Also check fuel pump for operation.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This sounds like EXACTLY what happens when the engine ECU doesn't recognize the ALARM ecu, or it's bad. You either need to resync them (unlikely) or replace them both from a junk yard river (make sure there from same rover easiest option) or get new/junk rover ECU and tow rover to shop with trstbook to re sinc. (boo)

Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man these are always so hard to do over the net, does the starter work at all?
Have you removed the multi function relay from under the hood and tried to dry it out or swap with a known working one?
Have you removed the spark plugs to make sure there is no water in the cylinders?
Yes engine rotates but no spark already used starting fluid to check for spark im trying to look for wires diagram to look for continuity to ECM and ignition but no were to found it download rave but can't open files only shows pictures. Any lead where to look for it

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

In my signature is a path to download the RAVE, and a second one to see individual sections on line as a pdf file. Try that second one.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
In my signature is a path to download the RAVE, and a second one to see individual sections on line as a pdf file. Try that second one.
Thanks Savannah very helpfull Already getting diagrams for electrical, hope someone guide me through this because don't want to sell for parts

Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet it went into alarm immobilization from the description. What kind of flash rate are you getting from the red alarm indicator light?

When you download the rave, it is compressed, then you need to go to the tutorial to go thru it or you get a whole lot of confusing indexes and such. If you ever get it installed correctly, it is really good, otherwise, it is rather confusing to attempt to navigate thru.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Overlanding
Cool Upate

Purchase computer and alarm unit from same year and model now check engine lights up alarm flashes once like two seconds and off but vehicle wont start like have no spark or fuel. Check all relays and change for new ones in case but nothing it cranks really good but no start. Any help on what to look next. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Mudding

After everything dries, try unlocking and locking the door several times and see if that resets the alarm. Maybe turning the ignition on and off several times. I had the alarm issue that prevented my starter from powering up. After several days of going in and out of my Disco for various reasons, I took a chance and the truck just started up like there was nothing wrong.

Quick Reply: Water in cabin then Disco dead