Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Water Ingres Wind Screen

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Ingres Wind Screen

We had quite a rainy night the other night and I was surprised when I got into my Disco yesterday morning to find that the front of the headliner and rear-view mirror were soaked. After checking for leaky sunroofs, I determined that the seal on my win shield is loose.

what are my options?

New seal and have it installed by my friendly neighborhood automotive glass shop?

Silicone RTV?

Any other suggestions?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

"Thin" flowable RTV - Amazon.com: Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer - 1.5 oz.: Automotive

But get a quote from the indy glass shop, since I can get a whole windshield replaced in a Chevy for like $200, re-move /re-seal might not be too bad.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can buy that sealer locally.
But having it resealed by a pro would be the best option.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I bet a local place would reseal for $100 or less. I just had the shattered rear window in my van replaced and that was about $300 including the new glass and service call to my driveway.
I used Safelite and I think they have a shop right off Rt 60.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I just went thru the winshield replacement. I understand that you do not need to replace it but here is what I found: new replacement glass with installation was about $250; kicker here is that everybody I talked to said you needed new trim at an additional $280-350. I replaced mine here in the shop and managed to do it without buying new trim.

Rover has a TSB detailing the proceedure to reseal across the top of the windscreen that basically shows how to lift the trim edge and run the sealer down under the trim. This is done without removal of the windscreen.

Are you positive it is not entering thru the sunroof? Typically the windshild leaks will show in the floor as they will travel around the perimeter and trickle down the A pillar. The sunroof will leak onto the headliner and collect along the headliner edges or sides. I have just reworked my sunroofs to correct the operation and stop the leaks. All of my drain tubes were clear but one was snapped off and all of the others were leaking where the plastic corner trays attached to the metal drain tray. I also had one seal that was damaged and allowed excessive water into the tray. Mine is an early 94 model and LR made some revisions to the sunroof assemblies so I installed a pair of newer ones and resealed where the assemblies met the outer body.

This took care of most of the leaks but I still has one in the right rear cargo area that require resealing the roof gutters. At the same time I removed the right rear alpine glass and cleaned up the seal and lip area and reinstalled.

Might have most of the leaks repaired for now.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for all the responses....

Question - Would a glassier have to remove and replace the whole seal? Or can he just spread some goop in there. Either way, I think It might be a job for the guy I know in Waukegan IL.

I am not 100% sure that it is not coming from the sunroof. I didnt see water anywhere else and it was dry up around the sunroofs. Most of the water was dripping from the mirror. I did notice water in the footwells all the way forward.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

It could be from the sunroof drains. The tubes are just pushed onto the drains. I wouldn't be surprised if they were leaking and that was your issue. I secured all the tubes to the drains with hose clamps. If you want a visual stop by. The headliner is STILL out of my truck. I can snap you a pic, too.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Check not only where the tubes attach to the drains but also where the drains are caulked to the metal tray.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Yea, I could use a visual. Perhaps I will catch up with you soon fishEH.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

#8 on this drawing, in two corners

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 sunroof.PDF (627.5 KB, 119 views)

Quick Reply: Water Ingres Wind Screen