Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

water leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water leak

After replacing the pump today, My 95 disco is leaking water from the thermostat housing area? and water hose. I truly can't say where is leaking precisely from but I am concern that I might have a major problem. Can some one advice? I truly welcome any input regarding the possible causes if this leak. Thanks

Old 08-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

could be thermostat housing gasket, but when you replaced your water pump did you use a new gasket?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

get some engine cleaner/ parts cleaner and clean it all off good.....start her up and take a flashlight to the thermostat housing, pump gasket and front cover area...you should be able to see it better

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 11:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by photo2u
After replacing the pump today,
Was pump leaking prior to replacement? Asking because often stopping one leak will add enough additional pressure to get a weak link to leak.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mr4x4
could be thermostat housing gasket, but when you replaced your water pump did you use a new gasket?
Hi I replaced the thermostat and gasket. I also used new bolts and lock washer for this install.

Thanks for your respond!

Old 08-30-2016, 01:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
get some engine cleaner/ parts cleaner and clean it all off good.....start her up and take a flashlight to the thermostat housing, pump gasket and front cover area...you should be able to see it better
Thanks for the tip. I did use my smart phone with the flash on, I was able to video this very tight dark spot. I concluded that the thermostat hose was leaking. However, I will continue to see if the thermostat housing is not leaking.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2016, 01:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by number9
Was pump leaking prior to replacement? Asking because often stopping one leak will add enough additional pressure to get a weak link to leak.
You know, now that you mentioned it, I replaced the water pump because I saw water that appear to be leaking from the water pump. As I reflect, I think it could have been leaking from the current location and running down by the pump area. The pump might not been the problem. Upon inspection, the pump did not look very bad.

I have seen the thermostat hose and water is leaking from the hose at the thermostat housing. I will replace the clamp and see if the leaking stops at this particular area. It would be easier fix, If the the problem is at the hose rather than the thermostat gasket.

This are the things I replace in this service:
1. New water reservoir tank.
2. New tank cap.
3. New water pump with new gasket
4. New thermostat and gasket with new bolt.

I welcome any other comment. I will keep you updated with pictures.

Thanks!
G.

Last edited by photo2u; 08-30-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 AM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe when you put every thing back together after replacing the water pump a hose didn't seal right. Maybe you just need to replace the clamp or maybe the whole hose.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:47 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

regarding clamps..... remember that the clamp goes on top of the ridge, not in the valley.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mr4x4
Maybe when you put every thing back together after replacing the water pump a hose didn't seal right. Maybe you just need to replace the clamp or maybe the whole hose.

Yes! I will check in all of the areas you are mentioning.

Quick Reply: water leak