Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Water in my Floorboard, no it's not the A/C Drains

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in my Floorboard, no it's not the A/C Drains

Alright you guys, I randomly pulled up my floormats earlier this week and found some fairly intense dampness.

It's nowhere underneath the dash, as you can see, so I'm thinking it's my door seals...we've gotten a ton a rain lately. The reason I'm somewhat set of it being the door seals is the fact everytime I go over a bump my door rattles against the body, lol, the seals definitely need replacing, right?

Name:  2011-12-06172740.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  84.1 KB
The dark is the moistness. It's on both the driver and passenger side, exact same place...

Ouch, comma splice city.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also, anyone have an extra black lid for that small door underneath the seat? I lost my passenger side one and have a tan one in it's place...

Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once those pads get wet, they stay wet. Discoveries have several leak paths, they even put out a TB to the dealerships regarding leaks, it is attached on a few threads here as our brother in San Juan posted it and I have also pasted it into one or two replies.

I probably have the plastic piece you lost as I took all my carpets, headliner and most of my trim panels out to address leaks and a few other issuyes and do not plan on putting any of that back in. I have a couple of boxes full of trim in my garage. I will be happy to send you whatever pieces I have that you may need.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 12-14-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM

Land Rover Discovery Water Ingress Manual
So you've got your Land Rover Discovery and you have found a water leak into the vehicle; Welcome to Land Rover Ownership!! Very soon after buying my Discovery, which is my first Land Rover, I was told that if it doesn't leak then its not a Land Rover.

After finding water in the rear loadspace I was more than a little annoyed that this expensive vehicle could be leaking. I posted a question to the LRE Forum and received many helpful replies which served to educate me that such faults are indeed just another part of the characteristics of Land Rover Ownership, something that I have come to accept.

It became apparent that every Discovery leaks from somewhere, it is just a question of in how many places!! Below are the LR 'fix sheets' for the water ingress into the Discovery. I followed the sheets and have cured the water ingress into the rear loadspace, which was the only problem area on my vehicle. I have since discovered a leak into the front passenger footwell, although only onto the mat and only when I wash the vehicle. Obviously that is my mistake; washing it!!

Here it is I found it on my Hard Drive.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm almost done with all my interior (non roof) rust proofing improvements. it looks good. ill post soon. i'm so glad i don't have the carpets and pads anymore and I love the look of my metal interior. headliner will go back in. so will some key plastics..interior doors etc. i don't want to put a lot of the back plastic in but i need to see how it finishes with bits missing.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

I probably have the plastic piece you lost as I took all my carpets, headliner and most of my trim panels out to address leaks and a few other issuyes and do not plan on putting any of that back in. I have a couple of boxes full of trim in my garage. I will be happy to send you whatever pieces I have that you may need.
Sorry for the late reply Danny, I am interested in getting the black passenger lid underneath the seat, though. You need any stock parts? We can trade.

If not, I can pay the few dollars to ship. Or you can help a fellow Roverer out

Leaking: So, I'm leaning toward the door seals. But before dumping the few hundred dollars for new ones I believe I'm going to silicone them and see if it helps.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Pro Wrench

ditto on the lid. if danny doesn't help you out i will. don't want anything in return but am curious what you have sitting there. i am looking for a few bits including the rear bumper reflector.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Just saw the reply, no problem either way. I have my carpets out and I am really disappointed in how many holes were left unsealed by the factory. There re multiple places where you can see daylight and lots more with just some dab of sealant on them. That allows lots of little places for corrsoion to start and the pads helpo conceal it and after 15 years, you got seams that need attention and varying degrees of corrosion depending on the individual operating environment. If I were you I would go ahead and pull the carpets for a good close up look see to evaluate what you got under there. Mine is a lot better than some I have seen on here.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 12-31-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Pro Wrench

we've been here before danny. the floors are a whole new world waiting to be discovered. the holes are plentiful, of multiple shapes and sizes.

if you want do a real good visual check before you pull the carpets...it's not easy or fun.....looking in wheel wells, at the firewall between the engine and drivers seat. Check the rear bumper and back of the hatch from below...alpines, sunroofs and roofline. If there is any rust showing it's the tip of the iceberg. water ingress could also easily be windshield which would require resealing.

The clock is ticking. If you plan to save the carpets and mats which Danny and I could (or did) not you should get it all done. Or you can go to the metal like we did and run it like a work truck.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, I hear you guys. But unfortunately, this is a DD of which is taking me to college, so it's got to have proper road manners, too. I'm thinking the windshield, but how could I go about resealing? Taking it to a glass shop?

I'm sort of the the process of waterproofing the truck anyways. So, I think I'll start out by doubling the door seals and siliconing them.

Slanginsanjuan, I just have some factory components laying around...anything certain you're looking for? I have the stock suspension

Quick Reply: Water in my Floorboard, no it's not the A/C Drains