Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Well DJ made it on a 600+ mile trek with NO issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well DJ made it on a 600+ mile trek with NO issues!!

Well just got back from camping up in northern PA's Pocono region. The loaded down Disco did very well with no issues at all! Other than I now know I need to go with heavier springs in the rear because with the Brown Church rack maxed, dog, family, bikes, and cargo pack maxed out made emergency maneuvers a little precarious (people coming in your lane down mountain passes because they overheated their brakes and couldn't slow down to make the corners). Overall we put just over 600 miles on her and averaged 14.7mpg. I was surprised by the fuel econ with all the drag on the roof. We head to that area at least once a year for the past 18 years and the only complaint I have is I need more power!!!!. The Disco loaded was more lathargic than my '89 Jimmy with a 2.8L that I owned back in '92. I hit the bottom of the one hill at 80 mph and by mid point I was in second at 4K+ rpm doing just under 50mph (speed limit is 55). We crested the hill with flashers on doing about 40... I'd say 30%+ of our driving was spent at WOT in 3rd or 2nd at very uncomfortable RPM's and under posted limits.... She held together and that is all that matters! Here's a few pics of her loaded.

Attached Thumbnails Well DJ made it on a 600+ mile trek with NO issues!!-web-p1010004.jpg   Well DJ made it on a 600+ mile trek with NO issues!!-web-p1010196.jpg   Well DJ made it on a 600+ mile trek with NO issues!!-web-p1010077.jpg  

Last edited by green machine; 07-03-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my disco to tow with occasionally, so I feel you're pain on the power! Even only 1200lbs( 4-wheeler and trailer) makes a huge difference.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You were loaded down my man. Glad to hear you made it with no issues. I liv just outside Pittsburgh, so I know the steeper rises can be taxing on the Disco.

I have the Old Man Emu heavy load springs on my rear, mainly beause a friend had them at a good price and helped me install with new ES 9000 shocks all around and moved the rear stock prings to the front. That as worked nicely much imroved over the original sagging with worn out original shocks. If I hit much of a pothole or speedbump the rear end bounces a little, but I really like it.

You got great mpg as well. Where did you travel from? Any particular plac in the Poconos you would rccommend?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad to hear all went well.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Where did you travel from? Any particular plac in the Poconos you would rccommend?
Anywhere in the Poconos is just wonderful nature! If your into roughing it a little, not well known RoundStone Camping Resort (Ochre Mill) is the best. It's right outside Jim Thorpe and it's a short jaunt to Bolder Canyon, Bushkill Falls, Whitewater rafting, hiking, Lehigh Gorge, Pocono Speedway, train rides and some cool coal mine tours (Coal mine #9 is the best). Roundstone has only (2) rustic cabins or a modern RV on 400 acres, a weekly stocked PRIVATE trout stream (so kids can catch some ), they are dog friendly, with about 14 miles of walking/biking trails, and swimming holes you may not want to leave the property. We let the kids and dog have the cabin, the wife and I tent it. Prices are very reasonable and Jill is a wonderful host. Be prepared for nature though: deer, beaver, snapping turtles, coyotees howling in the night... This year a beaver was within feet of the kids while fishing right off the cabin. Made for some great video and photos..... Next year I want to talk her into a ride in their M35A2 Duece, now that is the ultimate off road ride.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That all sounds great, are there trails that you can take the Disco out on without getting into trouble with anyone?

There seem to be a shortage of public access off-road trails in most area's.

I have gone with a local group to a few places outside Ligioner.

Would love to get some more info on other reasonably close places to visit for a jaunt with the Discovery to some out of the way places.

Get back into some freshwater fishing, hiking, swimming holes, and hopefully some trail riding.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I am getting ready to go camping on the 22nd in the San Juans here in Colorado. Should finally get some natural pics of the DI in action. I have the full brownchurch rack and glad to see you got away with so much on your roof. I have been looking at some cargo boxes for my roof at Home Depot. They run about $25 each and have wheels. Hoping I get better mpg but doubt I will.

Nice pics!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
I am getting ready to go camping on the 22nd in the San Juans here in Colorado. Should finally get some natural pics of the DI in action. I have the full brownchurch rack and glad to see you got away with so much on your roof. I have been looking at some cargo boxes for my roof at Home Depot. They run about $25 each and have wheels. Hoping I get better mpg but doubt I will.

Nice pics!
Hope your trip is uneventful! Actually MPG's I thought were great based on how loaded I was (part of that was the large assortment of just in case tools). The Rover did better than I get with my old truck when loaded heading up that way. I'm lucky to pull 10-12 mpg. If I can keep her around 70mph she'll do better at 14 "ish". Watch the weight up there! Mine handels great normally, but did get some body roll with all that weight. Nothing bad, but be aware.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
That all sounds great, are there trails that you can take the Disco out on without getting into trouble with anyone?

There seem to be a shortage of public access off-road trails in most area's.
Unfortunately no... the best I got was miles of dirt/stone access roads for the park service to get to trails we walk. You are locked into Rausch or Paragon in Eastern PA which leave me out since I don't have travel buddies. The most aggressive offroading my Disco or Truck see is in our back yard. Making your way up to our greenhouse there is an opportunity to tri-pod and the occasional romp through the creek to get winter firewood is about it..

Old 07-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Green Machine if you ever want to go up to Raush let me know, im just across the river in Lancaster and always looking for somebody to go up there with.

Quick Reply: Well DJ made it on a 600+ mile trek with NO issues!!