Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

what to do, what to do....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what to do, what to do....

So, I have my 95 totally stripped out right now. Yesterday I wielded in the patches to replace 2 small sections of the drivers floor pan that where gone.

Noticed a leak under the truck, and see that it's dripping from the water pump.

I have this brand new om617 turbo engine sitting here, the one with the hotter #11 cam (originally build for an 84 SD) Engine only has 6500 miles on it. I understand that mating it to the R380 is pretty simple. (a 616 4 speed flywheel out of a 70's 240 and and adapter) Then some alteration of the oil pan to clear the pumpkin.

I know my current 3.9 is in need of that oil pump gear and the front housing, and now by the looks of it, a water pump also. Seems to be tossing good money after bad to me... It does however have a brand new set of heads on it. Which I may offer if I pull the engine.

But I keep looking at the inside of the truck... Thinking how it would be with a full cage, totally stripped out, putting back in only the bare necessities like the seat and belts (and leaving the A/c front and back intact). and just bed lining the entire floor. (easy cleanup)

Anyone have any pictures of a truck setup this way?

Even the dash would be stripped, The gauges still bolt up without the dash and looking at it, it would seem to be fairly simple to incorporate a couple extra bars of the cage to finish it out...

I just think it would be nice to have a truck sitting here I could actually take out and do some wheeling with. My biggest issue I tend to put so much time and effort into them, I don't want to tear them up after! Maybe if I built it like this I would actually be able to have some fun with it.

Already planning a lift a HD lift (om617 is quite a bit heaver)

Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

for video of how some one did it see http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...8zXhmoD7ZZxiKA

and om617 swap - YouTube

and Land Rover Discovery Mercedes OM617 Conversion - YouTube

sound GREAT!!! like they will last 700,000 miles!

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it is just sitting there, what's stopping You?

I read a little about that engine. It is rated at 70,90, & 125 HP (depending on year?) is that enough for a Disco?

It did seem to do the trick in those videos.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 05-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

A sturdy Disco with an MB diesel. What a great combo.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
for video of how some one did it see
sound GREAT!!! like they will last 700,000 miles!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...8zXhmoD7ZZxiKA

He didn't seem to have the issues with clearance for the oil pan etc that I hear everyone bitching about? I wonder if thats due to the lift the has on that truck.

Can anyone here tell me what lift he has, how high and what tires those are?

Also, can you say passenger side snorkel...

And another....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDZyn...eature=related

Last edited by ngarover; 05-12-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Winching

The guy driving his diesel...

I want this soooo bad....

Sand And Snow 2012 - YouTube

Old 05-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I did a search, they were several different vehicles that people had converted over to this engine. One was a 60's big Chyrsler.

There was also some info on some huge Navistar diesel conversions. They have some awesome motors.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That dudes name is jarek. He's in a new jersey disco forum. His setup is really sweet. I was at that even. He has a total build thread on the jersey site. I'm sure Ed or Jake will beat me to it but if not I can link you to it when I'm on a computer

Old 05-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by turf63
That dudes name is jarek. He's in a new jersey disco forum. His setup is really sweet. I was at that even. He has a total build thread on the jersey site. I'm sure Ed or Jake will beat me to it but if not I can link you to it when I'm on a computer
Found it. Wish he would have showed a little more of the adapter etc, But he's also using the ZF trans. From everything I read, the R380 is a simpler build, and you don't have the shift point issues you have with the automatic after.

Wife is on board, I have met a local guy, 20 miles from me, who has already done a om617 into a toyota truck, has a half dozen discos I and II, and also a spare om617 engine that he wants in one of his D1's. Looked over his work and it's really really good. So talking with him about just doing the trucks side by side. He even made his own adapters etc in the toyota build and has access to a full machine shop.

After all these years of wanting this build it's finally starting to come together.

As it happens I'll document everything about it I can.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

re: Wife is on board

and I'll bet she can't wait for you to get done with her truck.....