Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

what to do, what to do....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
re: Wife is on board

and I'll bet she can't wait for you to get done with her truck.....
LOL. You know it. I already have to put it into her name, that was condition #1.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
Found it. Wish he would have showed a little more of the adapter etc, But he's also using the ZF trans. From everything I read, the R380 is a simpler build, and you don't have the shift point issues you have with the automatic after.

Wife is on board, I have met a local guy, 20 miles from me, who has already done a om617 into a toyota truck, has a half dozen discos I and II, and also a spare om617 engine that he wants in one of his D1's. Looked over his work and it's really really good. So talking with him about just doing the trucks side by side. He even made his own adapters etc in the toyota build and has access to a full machine shop.

After all these years of wanting this build it's finally starting to come together.

That is terrific news!

When you finish we will know how to do a reasonable conversion. Yall can supply the adapters, need to find a good source of used MB engines once you get it all figurd out!

Keep up the good work!

As it happens I'll document everything about it I can.
Who said Georgia rednecks were not good at bringing things back to life?

That is very impressive!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Here's the stuff Turf was talking about
Yup I have been going over it. I had actually seen the videos some time ago, but had not been to the jersey site.

Here is the engine that will be going in. Taken before I swapped the parts from my 85 300D engine to it. In this picture it still had it's SD mounts etc. Going to ready the truck to drive it over to the guys place, after I load this in the rear for the trip.

I put this engine into an 85 300D and ran it 5000 miles before I blew the front pump on the trans and decided to part out the car. I documented 32 mpg with it in that car, so it will be interesting to see the difference in the rover. As it happens, it also the most powerful om617 I have, maybe cause it's new? maybe cause it was build for an SD, It's suppose to have the hotter #11 cam in it.

Attached Thumbnails what to do, what to do....-_ceg0061.jpg  

Last edited by ngarover; 05-13-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Winching

Truck and engine are at the location where the transfer can happen. Almost thought it was not going to make it, started to steam and **** coolant after 10 miles. Pegged the temp twice, has trouble getting it to hold 50 but limped in to the garage.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you need to run engine for other reasons before the swap, consider a bottle of KSeal as a bandaid.