Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What kind of tools do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011 | 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

If you have no tools currently, I'd start here: Craftsman 255 Piece Tool Set, while it is still on sale for $134.99

Old 06-12-2011 | 06:36 PM

That is pretty good if you have no sockets, but realize that 40 pieces of that are allen wrenches.

If you plan to hang much on the rear door, I would get one of the spare tire mounts that removes the spare tire from the door and is a separate swingaway mounted to the rear bumper. Getting the spare off the door will help a lot.

I just mounted spring clips on the left rear side wall of mine to hold my four way lug wrench and mounted a 50 caliber ammo box right there to hold the original Rover jack and a few other items. Will post some pics later when I get a new disc for my Sony Mavica camera. It is out of order currently.

Old 06-12-2011 | 07:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
for my Sony Mavica camera.
Um, wow. That is a OLD camera!!!!
You realize that you can buy a whole new camera with better megapixels for about the price of a pack of blank cd's right?

Old 06-12-2011 | 07:54 PM

If it just needs a CD, I will get one, if it is much more, I'll get a flip or similar new one.
It has been a good camera and worked fine until a few days ago.

Old 06-13-2011 | 12:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Do what I do, buy a starter mechanics set (when I was 13) and add from there as you do jobs. You can find decent ones for about $100 or if you're pockets are deep go snap-on or SK :]

Old 06-13-2011 | 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by calebbo
Do what I do, buy a starter mechanics set (when I was 13) and add from there as you do jobs. You can find decent ones for about $100 or if you're pockets are deep go snap-on or SK :]
EXACTLY. It's almost always cheaper to buy the tool than it is to pay someone. And then you can use it again.

Old 06-13-2011 | 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't use tools. I take off all my nuts and bolts with my bare hands. I'll use my teeth if something is really rusted on there. That's how much of a man I am. I also don't need a compressor because I'm full of so much hot air

Old 06-13-2011 | 12:35 PM
Mudding

I use and like Craftsmen hand tools. I think they are the lowest quality worth buying and also the right value for almost everyone who does not use their tools to make money. Even for the pro wrench, you've got to be committed long term to justify investing in the pro tool brands (Snap-on and such). Likewise, I use lower-end Craftsmen tool boxes. A hobbyist like myself is not primarily committed to automotive tools. I want to build collections of carpentry, wood working and machinist tools as well so if I did everything at the highest level, I would go broke and not get to enjoy other things. On the other hand, I have a drawer of China wrenches and sockets too. Curse those things! I hate poor quality tools. In the end they are by far the most expensive mistakes! I can't remember ever actually paying for one, but they invaded my tool box like an infectious disease. They accumulate what they cost you everytime you try to use one and it wastes your time or screws something up.

Old 06-13-2011 | 01:07 PM
Mudding

As far as what tools to carry on the Land Rover, this is something I am working out myself. I am starting with the following and may discard somethings I find unnecessary and add things I find I need:

Posidrive screwdriver
Flat bladed screwdriver (a cheap one that can be used to pry as well)
7" Klein long-nose side-cutting pliers
8" Klein diagonal cutting pliers
12" channelock tongue and groove pliers
10" Crescent adjustable wrench
Combination wrenches: 10mm, 1/2", 9/16"
3/8 ratcheting socket wrench
6 pt. 3/8 drive deep sockets: 10mm, 1/2", 9/16"
6 pt. 1/2 drive std sockets: 11/16, 3/4, 7/8
1/2 impact sockets: 15/16, 30mm, 1-1/16
1/2 socket handle (18" long)

I also carry:

roadside emergency kit: 4 guage jumper cables, flares or reflector triangles, high quality tire puncture kit, flashlight

first aide kit: a comprehensive kit that covers bleeding, wound care, medicine etc.

fire extinguishers: a 2.5 pound clean agent extinguisher by my seat, and a 2.5 pound dry chemical unit in the back

recovery kit: synthetic rigging lines, shackles, tree saver, recovery strap, ****** block, gloves

I also carry a hi-lift jack, base lift-mate, a bottle jack, and a folding shovel. If I'm camping, I may carry a little 3lb drilling hammer.

Anyway, I'm looking at improving my carry items so if anyone else has suggestions I appreciate it.

Old 06-13-2011 | 01:55 PM

A lot of the nuts on a Discovery are 12 point, especislly the brake calipers.

Quick Reply: What kind of tools do you use?