Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What to look for in a used D1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:11 PM
DHH
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a used D1?

Hey all, long time Toyota owner pondering a change of pace. I've been looking to upgrade to a LC but prices are too high for me at the moment. Always have been a fan of the LR's thanks to Camel Trophy highlights.

Anyways, looking into possibly purchasing a D1. Been looking some over on CL lately, but am lost as to what problems I should be looking for. Curious to know what the engine and tranny reliability of these are, axle strength and any common problems that arise with these. I know all of the LC stuff, lost with LR's, but have read horror stories on electrical issues. What should already be replaced and when, etc.

Just looking for something to fit 2 car seats in, have room in the back for the dog, use for camping, back roads, bad weather conditions and the rest of the time drive 1-2x a week.

Are these easy for a DIY'er? Good aftermarket following?

Also, any reason why one should choose a D2 over a D1? I know D2's have more electronics so that's why a D1 appeals more to me. Should I consider a Range Rover at all or are they all completely different?

Any light you can shed on any of these or point me in a direction for which I can research would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to say that I'm leaning towards the darkside being a Toyota owner as I think each has its pros and cons, but I am attracted to the LR, thus I'm considering it as an option.

Thanks.
DHH

Old 11-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Drifting

DHH

I have found my D1 fairly east to work on. I bought it while I was in college almost 10 years ago and knew nothing about how to take care of it and have learned a lot and this forum is the #1 place you should look to. I'll tell you I love my D1 and hope to drive it for another 250k miles or more! It is very tough. The D2 is more of a luxury version in my opinion. I will tell you I have driven my truck in all conditions and it performs better in the cold weather. I once drive it up to Iowa for the Caucuses and the weather never got above 32 degrees for the 3 weeks I was there. It drove like a champ. I drove it in a blizzard and it didn't budge on the road. Amazing off road capability and I don't think you can go wrong purchasing one. It is my family's only vehicle and I enjoy not having a car payment. If you do purchase one follow DiscoMikes 60k service list to the T and it will take care of you.

Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should definitely get a D1. Very easy to work on. Headgaskets are the big money weak point on this truck. Since its not you daily driver you could do those yourself for 500 or less. Axles, transmission and transfer case are fine on stock size tires. If you lift it and go over 32s or wheel it hard on 32s you might get into issues with axle strength. I haven't had any electrical problems with mine other than the dome light activators being ****ty. Hope it works outfor you!

Old 11-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are new to Land Rovers, our D1 being our first, so I will share a couple of things that might help you. First, check the condition of any and all fluids (oil, trans, coolant, power steering) if the seller does not have all their maintenance records. Like most of the European vehicles I've owned, the key to longevity is regular maintenance, and it seems as vehicles age most Americans tend to forget about those pesky little things like transfer case lube changes, swivel lube, greasing drive shafts, etc. I've been doing my own wrenching for a few decades now, and I find the D1 to be easy to work on. The only electrical issues ours has had concern a little corrosion in a few light sockets, a sometimes flaky clock, and a sad auto-dim rear view mirror. They seem very straight-forward mechanically, and parts seem to be readily available - at least on-line. Ours needs a new transfer case as the P.O. (or one of the P.O.s) didn't bother keeping up with the lube changes, but it looks to be simple enough. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am by no way a mechanic! Bought my DI knowing it had issues (leaks, etc.) and have been able to fix everything but the new springs and bushings myself (I weighed the cost of specialty tools vs. having a local mechanic do it). Although not necessary, I replaced a lot of parts because I like driving it, and figured it was easier to buy everything new, than replace one piece for the longevity of the vehicle. Although I originally bought it for my airport vehicle to leave sit in the airport parking lot each week from Sunday to Friday, it ended up being my daily driver when I decided to open my own business. I run it about 150 miles per day on average without any issues. I have been able to find all of the parts I needed (mostly wanted ) on line (ebay or craigslist), and those I couldn't find there, the British parts suppliers had on hand (compare prices though as some parts are much higher from one place to another). Finally, Paul Grant is great source on here, and the occasional trip to a pull-a-part nets great finds!!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 PM
6th Gear

Id say go Discovery I. I have this luck of buying good used cars. all have been American. Iv owned GM and Chrysler products. Well My 1995 Camaro Z-28 decided to take a **** last year and I was getting around by the grace of my sister. I was looking at all these car lots. there was this one that I found a 1998 50th Anniversary Discovery with 129,000 miles on it. Beige Leather fully loaded! only thing is dang sunroofs didn't work. No biggie. I fired her up and I don't know how other Rovers are But this baby with the twist of the Key just needed like one second! literally seems like the starter turns and bam the motor is running. Only light on the dash it the damn ABS. Motor is so smooth the throttle just makes that needle rise with no stumble. I read all the horror stories, iv had friends and stranger say I would regret it and so far only money invested is Oil changes and an alternator. When I bought the Vehicle I get home and Open the glove.. to my Amazement, All the Service records since the Vehicle was brand new! God has Blessed me with something that gets me behind the wheel of Good long lasting Vehicles. I am so thankful. Although a vehicle is only good as the owner is to it. With that being stated Take care of your Vehicle no matter what you buy.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I passed up my D1, several times actually, while looking for another Jeep but finally succumbed and couldn't pass up such a great deal, and have not regretted it one bit ever since. IMHO, a D2 is alot more trouble than it's worth, and the overengineering and finickiness (sp, if it's even a word?) just doesn't return the value. D1 is clean and simple and relatively easy to work on, like working on a lawn tractor compared to a D2 and other vehicles I've owned. ZF trans is pretty simple and solid, engine isn't too bad as long as you wrap your head around the fact that you will be doing head gaskets, it's just a matter of when. Luckily, it's a pretty straightforward job and everything is easily accessible. Keep a watchful eye on the engine temp, they're prone to overheating and when buying one make sure you ask enough questions to ferret this out, and if the head gaskets were done, and by whom, etc. Like any used car, you don't want to be buying someone else's time bomb. Ultragauge is a must-have. D1's have their share of quirks and issues just like any older vehicle with personality will, but overall pretty benign compared to other stuff that's out there. Parts are plentiful and surprisingly inexpensive, just avoid the dealer and do everything you can yourself. With these cars an ounce of prevention is truly worth a pound of cure, and simple preventative maintenance goes a long way, like if your truck has the black coolant expansion tank just replace it with the white / translucent one from Atlantic British as soon as you can as it is plotting against you and waiting for the worst possible moment to split a seam. Rotella and old school Champion copper plugs. This forum is a tremendous wealth of information, and with a little hunting you should be able to keep a D1 going without alot of undue effort and frustration, unlike a D2.

Last edited by ajnolin; 12-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.