Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

"What NOT to Do"

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the waters so deep you can't ford it on foot, what makes you think your truck will? Can either cross it by foot or swim out of the drivers window and deep sea dive to get the tow strap on the hitch d ring.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got stuck in my own yard in the mud and snow and had to snatched out by a 2wd truck.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
Chill out Disco Mike. Relax, have another cup of Joe. It's not a big deal. Here's my bad from just last week in Moab. My dumb testosterone moments. Took a bad line on an optional ledge, swung the rear end out hard right into a juniper, and poked two big holes through my rear window. Duct taped it up and 3 days later broke the whole rear window loose on another optional big ledge I couldn't ever get up. Now I have a plastic sheeting rear window until I receive another window. Dumb moments know no age limits as I ain't young no more.
I love that you wrote "spare" on your spare tire!

I have only had one oops moment so far with my rover. I went 4 wheeling with my new 4x4 club on bill moore lake and got stuck on the first steep hill. Little did I know shifting the cdl shifter up to low did not actually "lock" the cdl. I was towed up that hill and still did the rest of the day in just 4 low not locked. Again.. know how your rig works.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
I love that you wrote "spare" on your spare tire!

I have only had one oops moment so far with my rover. I went 4 wheeling with my new 4x4 club on bill moore lake and got stuck on the first steep hill. Little did I know shifting the cdl shifter up to low did not actually "lock" the cdl. I was towed up that hill and still did the rest of the day in just 4 low not locked. Again.. know how your rig works.
A Big O technician wrote "spare" on my tire. I could never have spelled that well. Understand your 4x4's capabilities and your own driving capabilities. Have fun trying different lines but if you don't have a buggy then don't try try and to do buggy stuff. Test your 4x4 and yourself but don't have really stupid testosterone moments that will only lead to "bad things". I've had too many "oops" moments.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Love this so far guys haha, I keep checking it for more stories!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Rock Crawling

I took my Disco off-roading for the first time at the beach in the outer banks of NC. This was a while ago, but I tore right into the sand heading for the smooth hard sand near the water and went right into a "hole" where the sand was loose and deep. I sunk in to the axles and got stuck. While there, I saw Ford Explorers passing by up on a ridge of hard sand, and a friendly tow truck driver watching me and waiting to make some easy money. I surveyed the situation and realized what I had done and shifted into diff lock low. Eventually, I was able to rock the truck and get out of the hole, but it was embarrassing and might have been costly. Moral of the story is - try to know the terrain, or watch what the locals have been doing.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't go off roading while visiting Houses

4 years ago when we moved to Minnesota, we were looking for a place to buy.
We spent most of a Saturday of April visiting Houses with a friend Real estate agent. By the end of the day there was one house left to visit, old hobby farm with 40 acres of pasture. While arriving on site, I told everybody "Lets take a tour of the property first ".

My mistake, as soon as we hit the pasture the Disco got stuck pretty good and we spent the next 2 hours digging, looking for branches and other things to get the traction back.

Of course we were well dressed, no tools, no gloves, no cellphone reception, end the day and in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway we had a good laugh and will always remember this experience.

NB: We didn't buy this place, too risky!!!

Attached Thumbnails "What NOT to Do"-image010.jpg   "What NOT to Do"-003.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJag
I took my Disco off-roading for the first time at the beach in the outer banks of NC. This was a while ago, but I tore right into the sand heading for the smooth hard sand near the water and went right into a "hole" where the sand was loose and deep. I sunk in to the axles and got stuck. While there, I saw Ford Explorers passing by up on a ridge of hard sand, and a friendly tow truck driver watching me and waiting to make some easy money. I surveyed the situation and realized what I had done and shifted into diff lock low. Eventually, I was able to rock the truck and get out of the hole, but it was embarrassing and might have been costly. Moral of the story is - try to know the terrain, or watch what the locals have been doing.

That is why it is best to shift into LOW and LOCK THE DIFFS before you get it stuck, not after. Glad you guys are sharing your screw-ups so others can learn from your mistakes!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
That is why it is best to shift into LOW and LOCK THE DIFFS before you get it stuck, not after.
Really? OMG, this is the most brilliant thing I have ever read.

Name:  Picard_Facepalm_small.png
Views: 22
Size:  95.3 KB

Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
Really? OMG, this is the most brilliant thing I have ever read.

Wow, I take it you do not read much, you should give it a try. It really can broaden your horizons. It is not that diffcult if you practice it regularly.

It may seem obvious, but you may be surprised hopw many folks do get stuck pretty bad because they either do not understand their vehicle or just have not gone to the trouble of learning it before they need it.