Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What are these (broken) hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 11:29 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What are these (broken) hoses?

I’ve owned my ‘97 discovery for about a month now, changed the oil and ATF fluid, lots of interior cleanup. Drive it daily. But only a few days ago I discovered these 2 loose hoses on the left side near the air intake. One has a double end, neither end connected to anything. The other hose seems to be broken and goes under my left headlight. Another broken stub of hose coming out of the driver’s side. Nothing seems wrong with the car as far as driving, air conditioning and electronics work. Forgive me for not being familiar with everything under the hood, my last car was a 2002 Prius. Educate me!

What are these hoses and should I be too concerned?

Old 01-27-2021, 12:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

My guess is they are for the cruise control

The following users liked this post:
ononomos (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Definitely cruise control but check the RAVE manual.

ononomos (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 07:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 252 Likes on 203 Posts

third vote for Cruise Control.

my '96 had the same torn, broken vacuum hoses.

ononomos (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 08:17 AM
Mudding

So you’re all pretty much saying all 3 hoses should be connected? I’ll look more in to it, but they’re just vacuum hoses and never housed any wires?

Well, good thing I haven’t used cruise yet.

Last edited by ononomos; 01-27-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 389 Likes on 316 Posts

Cruise control. 90 some odd percent of D1’s out there today don’t have working cruise control. Hoses failed or the main bulb failed to hold pressure and it just isn’t worth the money to replace.
Their absence won’t affect your truck at all. No worries.

Edit: What color is your D1?

Last edited by stillruns; 01-27-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:53 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by stillruns
Cruise control. 90 some odd percent of D1’s out there today don’t have working cruise control. Hoses failed or the main bulb failed to hold pressure and it just isn’t worth the money to replace.
Their absence won’t affect your truck at all. No worries.

Edit: What color is your D1?
Dang. Well I guess that’s kind of a relief, but I’d still like to get it working again if I can.

It’s Charleston Green SD.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:04 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

cruise control for sure. one end attaches to the ripped hose on the firewall. the other end attaches to the hose leading to the jack. That hose winds its way around the jack and connects to a vacuum pump hidden under the driver (LHD) headlight.

If you replace/repair the hoses AND the pump still functions, you probably need a new cruise control ECU which is a cigarette-sized module under/behind the glove. There are a few threads with instructions on how to replace the old ECU with a newer model that tend to be more reliable.

ononomos (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 11:08 AM
Winching
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

yes cruise - I recently replaced my vacuum hoses - from brake pedal switch thru the firewall to tee - from tee to actuator and from tee to the control pump

mine actually works well and I use it all the time - in fact the cruise is one of the great features that distinguishes the Disco 1 from early Defenders-wasn't an option on NAS (IMO)

cruise control issues are usually in this order (IMO)
bad / missing vacuum line or tee
bad actuator (doesnt hold pressure - rubber bladder shot)
bad brake switch
failed control pump
bad cruise main switch on dash (should light up when engaged)
bad ECU - as stated are found under glove box (if original they are a metal looking relay stamped with AR1173 part number)
bad engagement switch on steering wheel
and of course a fuse

Last edited by disco96sd; 01-27-2021 at 11:20 AM.
ononomos (01-27-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 08:13 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by disco96sd
yes cruise - I recently replaced my vacuum hoses - from brake pedal switch thru the firewall to tee - from tee to actuator and from tee to the control pump

mine actually works well and I use it all the time - in fact the cruise is one of the great features that distinguishes the Disco 1 from early Defenders-wasn't an option on NAS (IMO)

cruise control issues are usually in this order (IMO)
bad / missing vacuum line or tee
bad actuator (doesnt hold pressure - rubber bladder shot)
bad brake switch
failed control pump
bad cruise main switch on dash (should light up when engaged)
bad ECU - as stated are found under glove box (if original they are a metal looking relay stamped with AR1173 part number)
bad engagement switch on steering wheel
and of course a fuse
These are good tips. I just got pretty deep into my cruise control (just got it working today actually) so I'll try to help. These are definitely the cruise control hoses. From the T-junction, one of the hoses goes to the cruise control actuator on top of the engine (as pictured in OP's photo). The other hose goes to the brake pedal switch (there appears to be some kind of nipple on the end of the hose in your photo, get rid of this and get a new hose to connect to the brake pedal switch mounted on the pedal under the driver's kick panel). The third hose goes to the cruise control vacuum pump underneath where the spare jack is stored (underneath/behind drivers side headlight).

The first thing I would do is replace all 3 of these hoses (you can get a kit with hose cut to length from Atlantic British for around $20 that includes a new t-junction). Once you've done this, ensure your switch on the dash works (most of them don't anymore, but working/tested ones are available on eBay for around $30). If you've done these things and your cruise control still doesn't work, follow these instructions to test each component of the cruise control system:

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rov...repair.231884/

If you perform all of the tests and they pass (ensure to use AC volts on voltmeter when checking speed sensor), your ECU is bad. Lots of people say to remove the circuit board and re-solder the dry joints - don't do that. Just order a D2 cruise control unit from eBay for ~30 with the pigtail and follow these instructions, much easier and you'll have a more reliable CC:

https://discoweb.org/index.php?threa...ems-p38.90799/

Good luck.

Last edited by grahamggggg; 01-28-2021 at 08:20 PM.
ononomos (01-28-2021)

Quick Reply: What are these (broken) hoses?