Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

what is wrong with these cars (or there owners)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

Headliner....paint it. (do a search or look in the sticky at the top of this section) .
They are fairly simple to work on. The most daunting problems are electrical.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Part of what you're thinking is true. Many of these trucks haven't been maintained to the standard which they should, but that is probably as much because they require a lot more attention than a typical car of their era. Read through the owners manual and compare it to a Toyota...it's pretty interesting to consider that the Rover v8 was (mostly) designed in the 1960s, and that what they're telling you to do is probably from that era too.

The many problems with the Discos have been discussed at length for years now...spend some more time reading this and other forums. (Places like Discoweb.org are an actual treasure trove of info, but be warned...search before you ask questions...most have already been answered and the folks over on D-web aren't gentle about telling you to do your own research or whenever they don't like something.) Below are a few of the common issues you see a lot of on the web:

- Head gaskets will always be a problem in trucks with aluminum engine blocks made with the technology available when these were designed, especially if overheated which many have been. (Aluminum blocks expand faster than the steel cylinder liners when overheated...)

- Disco's like most other British autos have always been known for quirky electrical systems. Do you know the story about how Lucas came to be known as the 'Prince of Darkness'? If not, then look it up, then consider that up through 1995 all the Rovers had Lucas electrical systems.

- Window regulators will fail in any cars that last to be this old, as will anything rubber (door seals, sunroof drains, etc...)

- Headliners sag. Get over it. Fix it when it happens. It doesn't matter what you do, or what you drive...it's going to happen eventually.

All of the above said, Discos are very easy to work on and you're a step ahead of many people in that you're approaching Rover ownership with your eyes open. If you find a D1 that's genuinely worth $2500 it should be very nice. Get a pre-purchase inspection, and then start learning how to really take care of it...

Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
also scale of 1-10 how hard are they to work on ??
I'm just curious, nothing seems very daunting to me after working on the cramped engine bay of an xjs
if you can handle working on a cramped british passenger car with a v8, working on one of these trucks is a joke by comparison.

tons of room.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude I bought my first rover aT 25 and have had it little more than a year have had to do head gaskets and many other maintenance and repair work spending just over 1000$ including 2 inch kit. Easy as he'll to work on truck was made to be field stripped great learner truck and most everything but electrical is easy to fix even with little knowledge and basic tools. With light refurb of cooling system and bringing her back to standard maintenance level, heads can be avoided and you can have a great suv. Just ripped my headliner out to custom paint it seems to best route. Easy to work on truck hold out for one with maintenance records up to at least 60k to 90k miles. If the body is rust free it's 500$ or more if running 1200-2900 wouldn't pay any more for rover from 95-99. Good luck and remember this forum is a great place for rover help and camaraderie.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Who really needs a headliner in a farm truck anyway?

Look at all the early trucks, do you really need a headliner?

They are good because they are basic.

Buy a screwed up one, you'll regret it. Look long and hard drive lots of them. if they won't drive far, stay away from it.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
......unless you are IHScouts, he can do them after work before driving it to the bar.
Hey Mr. "Depends on how much your nuts are." Practice makes perfect.........lots of practice.....you know how horny women are after a few, holy caramba!!!!!

These trucks are up to 17 years old. Lots of miles, lots of neglect adds up to something letting loose. My kinda lady....I mean Landy.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
if you can handle working on a cramped british passenger car with a v8, working on one of these trucks is a joke by comparison.

tons of room.
cramped british passenger car with a v12*

Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
cramped british passenger car with a v12*
even better!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Hey Mr. "Depends on how much your nuts are." Practice makes perfect.........lots of practice.....you know how horny women are after a few, holy caramba!!!!!

These trucks are up to 17 years old. Lots of miles, lots of neglect adds up to something letting loose. My kinda lady....I mean Landy.
When its time to do mine I'm bringing her up with beer in the back.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

When it goes just bring it to me before we go to Sledder's.

Quick Reply: what is wrong with these cars (or there owners)