Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What're we using for replacement radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 12:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanb
I want to know what is good. I have a perfectly good stock brass radiator. It runs pretty cool, doesn't leak, and I can see the solder bloom is not too bad. When I first got the vehicle, I had to have the oil cooler nipple re-brazed. Since then, I've ran it for the last 10 years (it's original so 23 years in all). I wonder though, if there is a better Aluminum radiator or if they're just cheaper. We know Aluminum is theoretically better, but it still has to be made better in fact. My brass radiator is thick and heavy. On hot days (90's), coolant temps can run as high as 209 F on long highway grades or on slow trails when only the fan is blowing air over the radiator. I do have a good water pump and new fan clutch from some years ago. Those were both necessary at the time but definitely working well now. I recently replaced the rubber hoses because they were 10 years old -- still good, but getting a little hard. I also flushed and changed out the coolant because it was also old. I had just been wondering about changing the radiator while I was at it. I'll probably get many more years out of the stock one.
This is about how my stock brass unit performed. I took it out to get it tested and it looked really bad. It didn't leak yet, but it didn't look long for this world. I'll probably hold onto it, though. My local radiator shop said he could recore it and probably throw an extra row in it, but it'd be $800+, so he told me not to even bother.

Your experience also kind of validates my opinion that a lot of the coolant temp nanny-ing is unnecessary. I'll update with some numbers once I get the new one in.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

I have posted this before and never got a good response on what the temps should be, I am guessing it varies so much depending on terrain, temps, motor speed, etc. but I have seen mine go from 193-219 on a relatively flat highway at 70 mph depending on outside temps. which can be from -35 to 110F anything below about 80, temp is between 199-210, above 80 and it can hit 225 before I shut it down as too hot. the dash gauge is pretty much useless as it doesn't move until it gets too hot and sometimes moves for no reason at all. I use a OBDII scanner to monitor engine temps.

I just opened the box to check the radiator from FCP and it looks to be undamaged... The adapters are supposed to arrive today or tomorrow, not sure if I will need them but if I do, I will have them on hand.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Up until recently I'd lead myself to believe that anything over 205-210ish is an instant death sentence for your rover V8. The head gaskets will cease to gasket, the liners will come loose in their bores, and you'll be in the middle of nowhere spewing steam from your oh-so-fragile Disco.

I've spent a lot of money now, chasing a probably nonexistent "problem".

Old 08-08-2021, 12:11 AM
Pro Wrench

I agree, on my smart anything over 220 would cause fluid to come gushing out and do major damage. My older '97 never got much above 207 and it was running stock radiator etc and had 250K miles on it.The kid decided to run it low on oil, which toasted a cylinder sleeve.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-08-2021, 10:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Got the Nissens unit in with no leaks, and I'm getting pretty good at getting the air bubbles out now that I've done it several times back to back. Between it and the 180* thermostat (that starts opening ~175* and is the first of FOUR to function properly) she runs ~185-190 on the highway. Coming home from work today in the heat will be a good test.

I'm happy with it, and happy to leave all these worries behind for now. I can't wait to get back East and get away from these 75mph speed limits. 60 is a good number.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FatMcNasty
I just did a Ebay 4 row all AL unit. Where do I start..
It was too tall for fitting factory fan shroud. Had to cut new holes to attach it. It sits 5/8 taller than stock.
The oil cooler fittings were aluminum copies of the early range rover/disco that screw in the rad. Center hole was way way too small for the cooler pipes to fit. And to add into that galled into the rad fittings. Slowly carefully removed them, then chase with a 3/8-19 bspp tap and installed 8an fittings for the cooler lines.
Hole for oil passage into the rad cooler was 1/4 in dia. Had to open that up to 3/8 in.
Side mounting tabs/pins on backwards. Pin was closer to engine side than bumper side. Had to grind off an redrill new holes then get pins rewelded on.

Other than that its pretty nice. LOL If I did it again I would go for the AlliSport one. If you count all my time/new tooling added to make it right and the base $300 for the Ebay unit. It would be damn close to what Alli asks for one.
my all Aluminum 4 core from ebay leaked like a siv 6 months in. I hope you have better luck. just keep an eye on your coolant and under your vehicle.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:31 PM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I installed a Nissens 64029 just over 2 years ago. No issues so far even with the climate extremes this year. At highway speeds Indy runs in the high 170's with a 180 degree Stant thermostat.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:11 AM
Pro Wrench

quick question, I have a 64029 radiator that I just purchased, does it need the adapters (which I also purchased) ? The tubes on my radiator look to be the same size as what is sticking out on both sides of the tanks.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jimvw57
quick question, I have a 64029 radiator that I just purchased, does it need the adapters (which I also purchased) ? The tubes on my radiator look to be the same size as what is sticking out on both sides of the tanks.
The 64029 was a direct fit for me. No adapters required.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:20 AM
Pro Wrench

Thank you!! any one need 4 adapters? brand new in packages (except one I took out to measure)

Quick Reply: What're we using for replacement radiators?